Stanz of SN 1.3.1

  • yifertw
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
      Dear Bante and Pali friends,
      The first verse of SN 1.3.1 is:
      Naaphusanta.m phusati ca, phusanta~nca tato phuse;
      tasmaa phusanta.m phusati, appadu.t.thapadosinan.
      Ven. Bodhi's translation is:
      [It does not touch one who does not touch,
      But then will touch the one who touches.
      Therefore it touches the one who touches,
      The one who wrongs an innocent man.] page 101, Verse 53 of
      "The connected discourses of the Buddha"
      Ven. Bodhi's footnotes against this verse is:
      " To touch implies acquire a kamma of wronging
      an innocent person, and to reap the result of that kamma
      when it comes to maturity"
      My questions are:
      1. There are two "it" in this verse, what does it stand for?
      Does it stand for "kamma" or these to sentence just to
      convince readers not to act that way?
      2. There are 6 "touch" in this verse, what does it stand for
      respectively?

      It will be much appreciated if someone can comment or explain it.

      Yifer
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
        Hi Yifer,
        op 31-07-2005 14:46 schreef yifertw op yifertw@...:
        > The first verse of SN 1.3.1 is:
        > Naaphusanta.m phusati ca, phusanta~nca tato phuse;
        > tasmaa phusanta.m phusati, appadu.t.thapadosinan.
        > Ven. Bodhi's translation is:
        > [It does not touch one who does not touch,
        > But then will touch the one who touches.
        > Therefore it touches the one who touches,
        > The one who wrongs an innocent man.]

        > My questions are:
        > 1. There are two "it" in this verse, what does it stand for?
        > Does it stand for "kamma" or these to sentence just to
        > convince readers not to act that way?
        > 2. There are 6 "touch" in this verse, what does it stand for
        > respectively?
        -----
        PTS footnote: two meanings of touch, an active one (performing kamma) and a
        passive one: receiving the result of kamma, thus, vipaaka.
        1: vipaaka will not come to (touch) the person who 2.does not commit kamma.
        (touch, makes feel, commit kamma)
        3. But then will touch (vipaaka will touch), 4 the one who touches (who
        commits kamma)
        5 Therefore it touches the one (vipaaka touches), 6 who touches (who commits
        kamma).
        First part of your Q. may also be solved now.
        Nina.
      • Ole Holten Pind
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
          Hi Nina,

          These are grammatically and semantically difficult verses. If I manage to
          find a solution to the problem they constitute, I shall write you right
          away.

          Ole holten pind

          -----

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
            Thanks!
            It is very clear and helpful from your explanation.

            Best regards,
            Yifer
          • Ole Holten Pind
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              The "it" refers to paapam "evil action" of the next verse.
              Phusati occurs in a similar context with paapam as subject at It IV 10 verse
              four: tam eva paapa.m phusse/ati.

              Best,
              Ole Pind

              -----
              PTS footnote: two meanings of touch, an active one (performing kamma) and a
              passive one: receiving the result of kamma, thus, vipaaka.
              1: vipaaka will not come to (touch) the person who 2.does not commit kamma.
              (touch, makes feel, commit kamma)
              3. But then will touch (vipaaka will touch), 4 the one who touches (who
              commits kamma)
              5 Therefore it touches the one (vipaaka touches), 6 who touches (who commits
              kamma).
              First part of your Q. may also be solved now.

            • Sitala (Zorigto)
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                Dear Nina van Gorkom
                Here are our trying of analysing the verse.

                The first verse of SN 1.3.1 is:
                > Naaphusanta.m phusati ca, phusanta~nca tato phuse;
                > tasmaa phusanta.m phusati, appadu.t.thapadosinan.
                > Ven. Bodhi's translation is:
                > [It does not touch one who does not touch,
                It (the object) does not touch (give effect/wavering)
                one who does not touch (who takes object as it is
                without craving/clinging)
                > But then will touch the one who touches.
                But then will touch (gives effect/wavering) the one
                who touches (who is not taking an object as it is,
                takes with craving/clinging)
                > Therefore it touches the one who touches,
                Therefore it (the object) touches (gives rise to
                wavering/suffering in) the one who touches (who does
                take an object with craving/clinging)
                > The one who wrongs an innocent man.
                The one (an object) wrongs (ruins) an innocent man
                (unprotected from desires man).

                Could this be possible meaning of this text? We tried
                to analyse it according to the position of Phassa -
                cakkhupasadassa phasso, etc., (as in the link of Law
                of Dependent Originations) contact based on the
                eye-basement, and accordingly eye-object will take
                place of "It". And so on, for all objects.
                In the last sentence, "the one" might be the object
                again, not a person, for it says that it
                wrongs/harms/ruins/distructs "an innocent man", in
                here We used unprotected man + from desires, for only
                a man who is not guarding his sense-faculties will
                fail to protect oneself from desires/defilements to
                arrise.

                The questions you raised will remain partly not
                answered, but what we think, is : "it"s stand for
                something that causes an action of touching. Therefore
                we assume it to be an object of contemplation. "The
                one" in the last sentence is assumed as in explanation
                above.
                If We are wrong, waiting for corrections.

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Hi Ole,
                  Thanks. Please do so,
                  Nina
                  op 01-08-2005 22:10 schreef Ole Holten Pind op oleholtenpind@...:

                  > These are grammatically and semantically difficult verses. If I manage to
                  > find a solution to the problem they constitute, I shall write you right
                  > away.

                • yifertw
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
                    Dear Nina:
                    As I am reading SN Sagathavagga against Chinese SA with Ven.
                    Bodhi's translation, I found "appadu.t.thapadosinan" of Stanza
                    SN 1.3.1 had been translated into Chinese as "Not offending against
                    others will not receive hatred from the others". This translation
                    had been done at the year of A.C. 443. It sounds the original
                    translator (Ven. Gunabhadra) treated "appadu.t.tha" as "not offending
                    against" and "dosa" as "hatred".
                    Could you help me to offer the grammatical analysis
                    of "appadu.t.thapadosinan"?
                    Yifer

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Dear Sitala, Yifer, Ole.
                      thank you, Sitala.
                      Let us look at what Ole said.
                      See below.
                      op 02-08-2005 17:55 schreef Sitala (Zorigto) op sitalatwo@...:
                      > The first verse of SN 1.3.1 is:
                      >> Naaphusanta.m phusati ca, phusanta~nca tato phuse;
                      >> tasmaa phusanta.m phusati, appadu.t.thapadosinan.

                      >> Ven. Bodhi's translation is:
                      >> [It does not touch one who does not touch,
                      > It (the object) does not touch (give effect/wavering)
                      > one who does not touch (who takes object as it is
                      > without craving/clinging)
                      >> But then will touch the one who touches.
                      > But then will touch (gives effect/wavering) the one
                      > who touches (who is not taking an object as it is,
                      > takes with craving/clinging)
                      >> Therefore it touches the one who touches,
                      > Therefore it (the object) touches (gives rise to
                      > wavering/suffering in) the one who touches (who does
                      > take an object with craving/clinging)
                      >> The one who wrongs an innocent man.
                      > The one (an object) wrongs (ruins) an innocent man
                      > (unprotected from desires man).
                      >
                      > Could this be possible meaning of this text? We tried
                      > to analyse it according to the position of Phassa -
                      > cakkhupasadassa phasso, etc., (as in the link of Law
                      > of Dependent Originations) contact based on the
                      > eye-basement, and accordingly eye-object will take
                      > place of "It". And so on, for all objects.
                      > In the last sentence, "the one" might be the object
                      > again, not a person, for it says that it
                      > wrongs/harms/ruins/distructs "an innocent man", in
                      > here We used unprotected man + from desires, for only
                      > a man who is not guarding his sense-faculties will
                      > fail to protect oneself from desires/defilements to
                      > arrise.
                      >
                      > The questions you raised will remain partly not
                      > answered, but what we think, is : "it"s stand for
                      > something that causes an action of touching. Therefore
                      > we assume it to be an object of contemplation. "The
                      > one" in the last sentence is assumed as in explanation
                      > above.
                      > If We are wrong, waiting for corrections.
                      >------
                      Ole: The "it" refers to paapam "evil action" of the next verse.
                      Phusati occurs in a similar context with paapam as subject at It IV 10 verse
                      four: tam eva paapa.m phusse/ati.
                      ------
                      Nina: I followed the Thai and Commentary: Vipaaka will not touch the person
                      who does not touch kamma (performs kamma), etc.
                      It seems to me that this sutta deals with kamma and vipaaka.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Dear Yifer,
                        op 03-08-2005 02:00 schreef yifertw op yifertw@...:

                        > Dear Nina:
                        > As I am reading SN Sagathavagga against Chinese SA with Ven.
                        > Bodhi's translation, I found "appadu.t.thapadosinan" of Stanza
                        > SN 1.3.1 had been translated into Chinese as "Not offending against
                        > others will not receive hatred from the others". This translation
                        > had been done at the year of A.C. 443. It sounds the original
                        > translator (Ven. Gunabhadra) treated "appadu.t.tha" as "not offending
                        > against" and "dosa" as "hatred".
                        > Could you help me to offer the grammatical analysis
                        > of "appadu.t.thapadosinan"?
                        ---
                        N: padussati: offend against. pp: padu.t.tha
                        padosin: abusing.
                        appadu.t.thapadosinan: the person who harms an innocent person. Here: an
                        arahat, according to the Co. The Co states that this is the law of kamma and
                        vipaaka. He may be reborn in one of the four unhappy planes.
                        See the last stanza of this sutta. This is very clear. The evil deed returns
                        to the wicked one , like fine dust thrown against the wind.