Re: Unicode Font for Romanised Pali/Sanskrit/Vietnamese

  • Bhikkhu Pesala
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 27, 2005
      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Thanks for sharing your work. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly,
      > but the fonts aren't clear in MS Word. (or is that how it's supposed
      > to be?)

      > June

      > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...> wrote:

      > > I have a friend who can add hinting information to the fonts for me, >
      > but I wish to finalise the fonts before asking him to do that,
      > > as hinting will be lost if any changes are made.
      > > (Without hinting, the fonts won't look so good on screen
      > > at small sizes.

      > > Bhikkhu Pesala
    • junet9876
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 28, 2005
        oh sorry :p i think i skipped that paragraph because i couldn't
        understand what you were talking about (like what "hinting
        information" means...)

        ok if there isn't a problem, then ok :)

        keep up the good work!

        june

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...> wrote:
        > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Thanks for sharing your work. I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly,
        > > but the fonts aren't clear in MS Word. (or is that how it's supposed
        > > to be?)
        >

        > > June
        >
        > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "Bhikkhu Pesala" <pesala@a...> wrote:
        >
        > > > I have a friend who can add hinting information to the fonts for
        me, >
        > > but I wish to finalise the fonts before asking him to do that,
        > > > as hinting will be lost if any changes are made.
        > > > (Without hinting, the fonts won't look so good on screen
        > > > at small sizes.
        >
        > > > Bhikkhu Pesala
      • Bhikkhu Pesala
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
          I've just uploaded an update of the beta to:

          http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Fonts/Garava.zip

          The fonts now contain a set of Greek characters, and several errors have
          been corrected.

          As before, the fonts lack hinting information. I am looking for feedback
          to complete the font before asking my friend to run the font through his
          Font software to adding hinting. Hinting adds pixels to thin strokes to
          make fonts look better at small sizes on screen. Just zoom in 200% or use
          the fonts at 24 points or more to see smooth font outlines.

          What I'm interested in is:

          1. Any poorly designed characters, or misplaced diacritics.
          2. Any vital characters that are needed for transliteration.
          3. Any other symbols, punctuation marks, etc., that scholars need, but
          which I might not be aware of.
          4. Any problems on MAC OS. I'm not sure whether I can fix these problems,
          but it would be good to know if there are problems.
        • Bhikkhu Pesala
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
            My friend saw my previous message and hinted my fonts for me, so I've just
            uploaded the rehinted fonts to:

            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pesala/Fonts/Garava.zip

            These rehinted fonts lack the Roman Numerals that I added recently, but
            all other characters are present.