Re: citta.m pasiidati

  • abhidhammika
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
      Dear Venerable Kumaara Bhikkhu

      How are you?

      "kattha nu kho, bhante, daana.m daatabban"ti? "Yattha kho,
      mahaaraaja, citta.m pasiidati".

      The above Pali question and answer could be translated as follows.

      "Where should, Bhante, alms be donated? Great King, wherever the mind
      is clear, alms should be donated there."

      The above translation follows closely the Pali syntax. We could
      paraphrase it as follows.

      "Alms should be donated to whoever makes your mind clear."

      With deep respect,

      Suan Lu Zaw

      http://www.bodhiology.org

      --- In Pali@y..., Kumaara Bhikkhu <venkumara@b...> wrote:
      > Dear Pali group member,
      >
      > I've been deliberating on how to translate this to English:
      > [in VRI font code:]
      > citta½ pas²dati
      > [in transliteration (Velthuis scheme):]
      > citta.m pasiidati
      >
      > How would you translate it?
      >
      > Here's one source of that phrase:
      > [in VRI code:]
      > Ekamanta½ nisinno kho r±j± pasenadi kosalo bhagavanta½
      etadavoca "kattha nu kho, bhante, d±na½ d±tabban"ti? "Yattha kho,
      mah±r±ja, citta½ pas²dat²"ti. (Sa½yuttanik±yo Sag±th±vaggo 3.
      Kosalasa½yutta½ 3. Tatiyavaggo: 4. Issattasutta½)

      > [in Velthuis scheme:]
      > Ekamanta.m nisinno kho raajaa pasenadi kosalo bhagavanta.m
      etadavoca "kattha nu kho, bhante, daana.m daatabban"ti? "Yattha kho,
      mahaaraaja, citta.m pasiidatii"ti. (Sa.myuttanikaayo Sagaathaavaggo
      3. Kosalasa.myutta.m 3. Tatiyavaggo 4. Issattasutta.m)