citta.m pasiidati

  • Kumaara Bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2002
      Dear Pali group member,

      I've been deliberating on how to translate this to English:
      [in VRI font code:]
      citta½ pas²dati
      [in transliteration (Velthuis scheme):]
      citta.m pasiidati

      How would you translate it?

      Here's one source of that phrase:
      [in VRI code:]
      Ekamanta½ nisinno kho r±j± pasenadi kosalo bhagavanta½ etadavoca "kattha nu kho, bhante, d±na½ d±tabban"ti? "Yattha kho, mah±r±ja, citta½ pas²dat²"ti. (Sa½yuttanik±yo Sag±th±vaggo 3. Kosalasa½yutta½ 3. Tatiyavaggo: 4. Issattasutta½)

      [in Velthuis scheme:]
      Ekamanta.m nisinno kho raajaa pasenadi kosalo bhagavanta.m etadavoca "kattha nu kho, bhante, daana.m daatabban"ti? "Yattha kho, mahaaraaja, citta.m pasiidatii"ti. (Sa.myuttanikaayo Sagaathaavaggo 3. Kosalasa.myutta.m 3. Tatiyavaggo 4. Issattasutta.m)

      (A big thank you to PaliTrans 2.0 by Andrew Shaw!)
    • abhidhammika
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2002
        Dear Venerable Kumaara Bhikkhu

        How are you?

        "kattha nu kho, bhante, daana.m daatabban"ti? "Yattha kho,
        mahaaraaja, citta.m pasiidati".

        The above Pali question and answer could be translated as follows.

        "Where should, Bhante, alms be donated? Great King, wherever the mind
        is clear, alms should be donated there."

        The above translation follows closely the Pali syntax. We could
        paraphrase it as follows.

        "Alms should be donated to whoever makes your mind clear."

        With deep respect,

        Suan Lu Zaw

        http://www.bodhiology.org