Re: Help in translating agaru.m karitvaa

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5, 2005
      Dear Keren, Rett and friends,

      PED has garukaroti (or garu.m karoti) as "to esteem, respect, honour".
      I guess agaru.m karoti is the exact opposite.

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, rett wrote:

      >I'm posting this question again, what is the meaning of agaru.m
      karitvaa?

      Depending on the context I'd guess it would be to treat someone
      disrespectfully. garu is the same as the well known sanskrit
      word 'guru' meaning weighty, and hence respectable. So it's
      literally 'make un-guru'. It could perhaps also be to make light of
      something (such as a difficulty).