help about script

  • rudra sakrikar
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
      Dear Freinds ,
      Pls guide me about the following things.
      1. Which is the script of Pali ? is it same of Samskrit ?
      2. Is there any site which contains suttas with it's original script ? If yes, is it downloadable ?

      Thank you. Regards.

      Rudrakasha Sakrikar
      rudra_sakrikar@...

    • Geoff Morrison
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2005
        Rudrakasha Sakrikar:

        Pâli, unlike Sanskrit, is written in different South
        and Southeast Asian scripts, such as the Sinhala
        script in Sri Lanka and the Thai script in Thailand,
        among other regional scripts. Sanskrit is more
        traditionally associated with the Devanâgarî script,
        although the Devanâgarî script is also used to write
        some modern Indian languages, such as Hindî, Marathi
        and Nepali, among others. This is probably the main
        reason that the Pâli Text Society devised the
        transliterated Roman (Latin) script for all of their
        Pâli text publications, as some measure to ensure that
        Pâli could be studied with some degree of ease and
        without having a Pâli student spend time in gaining
        proficiency in a script for which learning materials
        might not be readily available.

        Because most of the principal Pâli texts have been
        transliterated into the Roman (Latin) alphabet with
        appropriate diacritical marks, there are relatively
        few web sites that reproduce original Pâli
        manuscripts, to my knowledge. However, there are many
        other members of this list, who could address the
        question of the availability of Pâli original
        manuscripts on the Internet and elsewhere.

        If you have an inclination to be able to work with and
        translate original Pâli sources and manuscripts, I
        might suggest that you acquire a reading knowledge of
        the Sinhala script for this purpose, since Sri Lanka
        seems to have the greatest number of surviving
        manuscripts, as well as the most critical need to have
        these surviving Pâli manuscripts cataloged and
        preserved, before they are lost to the elements for
        eternity.

        I hope that this reply answers some of your questions.
        I encourage other members of this list to also reply
        to this very good question on Pâli writing systems and
        the availability of Pâli manuscripts on the Net.

        Best,

        Geoff Morrison
        sanskrit_studies@...

        --- rudra sakrikar <rudra_sakrikar@...> wrote:

        > Dear Freinds ,
        > Pls guide me about the following things.
        > 1. Which is the script of Pali ? is it same of
        > Samskrit ?
        > 2. Is there any site which contains suttas with it's
        > original script ? If yes, is it downloadable ?
        >
        > Thank you. Regards.
        >
        > Rudrakasha Sakrikar
        > rudra_sakrikar@...

        > removed]

      • Gunnar Gällmo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
          --- Geoff Morrison <sanskrit_studies@...> skrev:

          > Rudrakasha Sakrikar:
          >
          > Pâli, unlike Sanskrit, is written in different South
          > and Southeast Asian scripts, such as the Sinhala
          > script in Sri Lanka and the Thai script in Thailand,
          > among other regional scripts. Sanskrit is more
          > traditionally associated with the Devanâgarî script,
          > although the Devanâgarî script is also used to write
          > some modern Indian languages, such as Hindî, Marathi
          > and Nepali, among others.

          According to Coulson's "Teach Yourself Sanskrit" (a
          very good primer, by the way), Devanagari became the
          standard script for Sanskrit as late as the 18th
          century A. D., thus less than 300 years ago. Before
          that, Sanskrit was, just as Pali still is, written in
          the local script, whichever that happened to be; so
          even Sanskrit doesn't have an original script.

          Gunnar

          gunnargallmo@...
        • Bhikkhu Pesala
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2005
            You can find the Romanised Tipitaka Online at:
            http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/tpmain.html

            You can order a CD for private study here:
            http://www.vri.dhamma.org/publications/cdorder.html

            This can be read in any of several Asian scripts.