Pali - Every few days - [C270]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
      Pali - Every few days - [C270]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 30 of 41)

      bhuumi-pappa.take antarahite badaalataa paaturahosi.
      earth-fungus / on the disappearance / creeper /
      appeared
      And on the disappearance of the earth-fungus a creeper
      appeared.

      saa ahosi va.n.na-sampannaa gandha-sampannaa
      rasa-sampannaa.
      it / was / colour-endowed / smell-endowed /
      taste-endowed /
      It was endowed with colour, smell, and taste;

      te maya.m badaalata.m upakkamimha paribhu~njitu.m.
      those / we / creeper / we began / to eat
      and we began to eat the creeper,

      te maya.m ta.m paribhu~njantaa tam-bhakkhaa
      tad-aahaaraa cira.m diigham addhaana.m a.t.thamhaa.
      those / we / this / relishing / this-feeding on /
      this-food / for a long time / long period / we
      remained
      and relishing it we remained feeding on this food for
      a very long time.

      tesa.m no paapakaana.m ~neva akusalaana.m dhammaana.m
      paatubhaavaa badaalataa antaradhaayi.
      to those / to us / of evil / also / of unwholesome /
      of things / appearance / creeper / disappearance
      And on account of the evil, unwholesome things among
      us, the creeper disappeared.

      Metta, John
    • alanmcclure3
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 31, 2005
        John,

        I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book on
        another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations and
        including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes me
        wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
        Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask you
        what the deal is with the copyright, etc.

        Can I assume that including such translations on my website would not
        be problematic?

        Thanks for your help,

        Alan
      • nyanatusita
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2005
          ---
          Dear John,

          I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
          Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
          translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes, etc,
          which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was not
          interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
          I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a translation.
          Mettaya,
          Bhikkhu Nyanatusita

          In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
          > John,
          >
          > I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book on
          > another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations and
          > including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes me
          > wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
          > Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask you
          > what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
          >
          > Can I assume that including such translations on my website would not
          > be problematic?
          >
          > Thanks for your help,
          >
          > Alan
        • Alan McClure
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
            Hello Venerable Nyanatusita,

            I know that I am not John, but would it be possible to send me a copy of
            this work as well? I am quite interested in it, though I guess that I am
            most interested in the many footnotes more than anything else. Of course I
            will not post them, but just use them for reference in my translation. I am
            sorry if this would have been better sent via private e-mail, but I hesitate
            to bother people off list. Additionally, thank you for the note about the
            translation regarding copyright law, it makes sense to me.

            Metta,

            Alan

            > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
            > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
            > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes, etc,
            > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was not
            > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
            > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a translation.
            > Mettaya,
            > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
            >
            > In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
            >> John,
            >>
            >> I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book on
            >> another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations and
            >> including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes me
            >> wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
            >> Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask you
            >> what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
            >>
            >> Can I assume that including such translations on my website would not
            >> be problematic?
            >>
            >> Thanks for your help,
            >>
            >> Alan

          • Gunnar Gällmo
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 2, 2005
              --- nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> skrev:

              > Dear John,
              >
              > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of
              > Bodhinyana
              > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made
              > already a detailed
              > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with
              > many footnotes, etc,
              > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS
              > website. PTS was not
              > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
              > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as
              > it is a translation.

              The translator has author's right to the translation,
              if he is still alive or has been dead for (in several
              countries) less than 70 years, but I suppose you have
              got his agreement. As far as the Pali texts are
              citations from the Tipitaka (and I think Warder cites
              mostly from the Diighanikaaya), the authors have most
              probably been dead for more than 70 years; the only
              problem might be if Warder has written some of the
              simpler sentences himself, but then it is debatable if
              these are original enough to be regarded as a proper
              work.

              Gunnar

              gunnargallmo@...
            • nyanatusita
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                Dear Alan,

                It is not exactly clear to me what the relation between this group and
                www.tipitaka.net is but we could put a PDF file with Brahmali's
                translation there if that is possible. He is very keen to receive
                feedback on it.
                As more people might want it it would be easier if they could download
                it from tipitaka.net rather than me having to send it to them. If you
                can arrange this then I would be happy.
                It is a translation of the Pali given in Warder's exercises. There is
                no copyright on Pali.
                Yours in the Dhamma,
                Bh. Nyanatusita

              • John Kelly
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Dear Alan,

                  That's wonderful news that you will be doing another
                  translation of the Warder exercises with full
                  grammatical analysis. I hope you will be posting your
                  solutions to this list as you go. Please be sure to
                  compare with my solutions while you are doing it too,
                  and send any feedback to me via this group - I'm sure
                  you'll spot many errors I may have made!

                  Concerning copyright issues, as a few others have
                  already noted, I don't think it's a problem since
                  these are your own translations, and the text of what
                  you are translating comes straight from the Tipitaka
                  which is in the public domain. My solutions have been
                  posted on
                  http://accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/kelly/answers/index.html
                  and on http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/ and nobody
                  has raised copyright as an issue.

                  With metta,
                  John

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                    Dear Bhante,

                    I look forward to seeing these solutions of Ven.
                    Brahmali - especially the footnotes.

                    With metta,
                    John
                    Dear John,

                    I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of
                    Bodhinyana
                    Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already
                    detailed
                    translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many
                    footnotes, etc,
                    which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS
                    website.
                    PTS was not
                    interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
                    I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it
                    is a
                    translation.
                    Mettaya,
                    Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                  • libris
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Ajahn Nyanatusita,

                      If Ajahn Brahmali's notes is digital, they could be posted on Ajahn Sujato's Sutta-Central website which is about halfway done.

                      I would love to see these notes, too.

                      Namakkara.m

                      Piya Tan]
                      Brahm Education Centre
                      Singapore

                      --- nyanatusita <nyanatusita@...> wrote:

                      > ---
                      > Dear John,
                      >
                      > I would like to let you know that Ven. Brahmali of Bodhinyana
                      > Monastery, Perth, Western Australia, has made already a detailed
                      > translation of the Pali exercises in Warder with many footnotes,
                      > etc,
                      > which I intend to put up at the forthcoming BPS website. PTS was
                      > not
                      > interested for some reason. I can send you a copy.
                      > I dont believe there is a copyright infringment as it is a
                      > translation.
                      > Mettaya,
                      > Bhikkhu Nyanatusita
                      >
                      > In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "alanmcclure3" <alanmcclure3@y...> wrote:
                      > > John,
                      > >
                      > > I would like to start translating the exercises in the Warder book
                      > on
                      > > another website, focusing only on the Pali to English translations
                      > and
                      > > including a grammatical analysis of each word. However, it makes
                      > me
                      > > wonder if there would be any copyright infringement by doing this.
                      >
                      > > Since I suspect that you have checked into this, I wanted to ask
                      > you
                      > > what the deal is with the copyright, etc.
                      > >
                      > > Can I assume that including such translations on my website would
                      > not
                      > > be problematic?
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for your help,
                      > >
                      > > Alan

                    • Alan McClure
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 3, 2005
                        Dear Venerable Nyanatusita,

                        I don't know if you have managed to contact Ong Yong Peng as of yet, but I
                        have talked to her/him just today about how to post this great resource to
                        tipitaka.net, and s/he said that s/he has the intention of responding to you
                        about the issue via this list, though s/he is quite busy. So, it looks like
                        you'll soon have an answer. If you are not too busy to post to this group
                        to tell us when/if you are able to place the PDF at Tipitaka.net, I would
                        really like to share it with many other interested parties.