RE: [Pali] Re: where do you put the accent?

  • AlanMcClure
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 25, 2005
      Venerable,

      I think that Adam means where is the spoken accent for each word when it is
      pronounced.
      Do you know of any sites that do this topic justice?

      Metta,

      Alan McClure

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
        Hi Gunnar,

        Yes. http://ca.geocities.com/vixcafe/jalogga/sanskrit.html

        > But I think that in practice, when reciting Pali, one
        > quite simply stresses the long syllables (which means
        > that sometimes the stress is quite even, e. g. in the
        > Dhammapada line "appassaadaa dukkhaa kaamaa", with
        > eight long syllables in a row).

        Well, length and stress are different things. In that sense Pali may
        be close to ancient Greek:

        http://www.prosoidia.com/grkrec.html

        Dmytro
      • Gunnar Gällmo
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 30, 2005
          --- oselok <nibbanka@...> skrev:

          > Well, length and stress are different things.

          It is, but not all reciters care about that. At least
          in my country, even professors of Latin use to say, in
          poetry, GUTta caVAT lapiDEM instead ov GUTta CAvat
          LApidem, thus missing the counterpoint between the
          two.

          And I have the impression that most reciters of Pali
          do the same thing.

          Gunnar

          gunnargallmo@...