Pali - Every few days - [C269]

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2005
      Pali - Every few days - [C269]
      Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)
      Passages for Reading 2 (Part 29 of 41)

      rasa-pa.thaviyaa antarahitaaya bhuumi-pappa.tako
      paaturahosi.
      of the essence-earth / on the disappearance /
      earth-fungus / was manifest
      On the disappearance of the earth-essence, an earth
      fungus appeared.

      so ahosi va.n.na-sampanno gandha-sampanno
      rasa-sampanno.
      it / was / colour-endowed / smell-endowed /
      taste-endowed /
      It was endowed with colour, smell, and taste.

      te maya.m bhuumi-pappa.taka.m upakkamimha
      paribhu~njitu.m.
      atha kho te Vaase.t.thaa sattaa bhuumi-pappa.taka.m
      upakkami.msu paribhu~njitu.m.
      those / we / earth-fungus / we began / to eat
      We began to eat the earth-fungus,

      te maya.m ta.m paribhu~njantaa ta.mbhakkhaa
      tadaahaaraa cira.m diigham addhaana.m a.t.thamhaa.
      those / we / this / relishing / this-feeding on /
      this-food / for a long time / long period / we
      remained
      and, relishing it we remained feeding on this food for
      a very long time,

      tesa.m no paapakaana.m ~neva akusalaana.m dhammaana.m
      paatubhaavaa bhuumi-pappa.tako antaradhaayi.
      to those / to us / of evil / also / of unwholesome /
      of things / appearance / earth-fungus / disappearance
      and on account of the evil, unwholesome things among
      us, the earth-fungus disappeared.

      Metta, John
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 29, 2005
        Dear John and friends,

        I think there is some English missing from the section below.

        Warder - Exercise 21 (page 176)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
          Thank you, Yong Peng, for spotting the error.

          No, it is not that there is some English missing, but that there is
          additional Pali accidentally pasted in here.

          This part of the exercise should read simply:

          te maya.m bhuumi-pappa.taka.m upakkamimha paribhu~njitu.m.
          those / we / earth-fungus / we began / to eat
          We began to eat the earth-fungus,

          With metta,
          John

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2005
            Dear John and friends,

            thanks, John. I shall update the solutions.