Re: hi all, pls guide

  • John Kelly
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 25, 2005
      Dear Deepak,
      Also welcome to the group and to the wonderful world
      of Pali!

      I recommend the following 3 books (in the order
      below):

      1. Start with the Pali Primer by Lily de Silva. This
      is a very accessible introduction to the language, and
      provides lots of exercise sentences for translating
      Pali to English and also English to Pali. It's
      limitation is that it does not use examples from the
      suttas in its exercises and it's presentation of
      material in the later chapters lacks a little depth.
      I believe this book is available for free download,
      and
      a set of solutions to the exercise has been posted to
      this
      group's web-site.
      Alternatively start with one of the other basic books
      like Narada's
      Elementary Pali, which is also freely available on the
      web, and Yong Peng is currently posting all his
      solutions.

      2. "The New Course in Reading Pali" by Gair and
      Karunatillake is an excellent book too, but I wouldn't
      recommend it first off for someone with
      no Pali experience at all. I have worked through
      it entirely and found that having completed the Pali
      Primer beforehand helped a lot. All the exercise
      material is directly taken from the suttas, which is a
      very good feature. My own answers for the exercises
      have been posted to the list, and are maintained on
      Yong Peng's web-site.

      3. The standard textbook "Introduction to Pali" by A.
      K.
      Warder covers all the basics in a very thorough way,
      and
      I would consider it a must for all Pali students
      eventually.
      The exercise material is also right from the canon,
      and very
      useful in that respect. But he presents so much
      detail on
      each topic that this book is not recommended as a
      starting
      point for a beginner. However, after tackling some
      other
      elementary texts, it becomes a lot easier to handle.
      As with the Gair, I have been sending my answers to
      this
      list for people to follow along as they wish - and
      provide
      feedback and suggestions for improvement.

      See also
      //www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bullitt/learningpali.html

      for excellent guidance.

      Those are my thoughts. Good luck!
      With metta,
      John

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Deepak Dhawan
      <d_dhawan2000@y...> wrote:
      > Dear friends,
      >
      > As my first mail in this group. I would like to take
      > this opportunity to convey my regards to the senior
      > members of the group and introduce myself to all.
      > I have keen interest in learning pali but i have
      > absolutely no idea where to start. The content on
      the