Great Dreams Jaataka 2a

  • dhammanando_bhikkhu
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2005
      The Second Dream

      King Pasenadi:
      dutiyaa'ha.m, bhante, eva.m addasa.m:
      second / I / venerable sir / thus / saw
      The second [dream] I saw, venerable sir, [was] like this:

      khuddakaa rukkhaa c'eva gacchaa ca pathavi.m bhinditvaa
      small / trees / and / only / bushes / and / through earth / having broken
      Trees and bushes that were only small, having broken through the earth,

      vidatthimattampi ratanamattampi anuggantvaa'va pupphanti c'eva phalanti ca.
      hand-span-measure / just / cubit-measure / just / having reached / only / blossom
      / and / just / bear fruit / and
      [though] having reached only one or two spans, blossomed and bore fruit.

      ima.m dutiya.m addasa.m, imassa ko vipaakoti?
      this / second / I saw / of this / what / ripening
      This is the second [dream] I saw. What [will be] the outcome of it?

      (Pasenadi)
      Venerable sir, this is what I saw in the second dream: Trees
      and bushes that were only small, having broken through the
      earth and grown to only one or two spans, blossomed and bore
      fruit. This is what I saw in my second dream. What will be
      the outcome of it?

      Comments

      This is the shortest of the dreams. I expect the King was only
      having a quick snooze when he dreamed it.

      Best wishes,

      Dhammanando