Welcome to the group

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 23, 2001
      Hello everyone,

      welcome to Pali Discussion Group. I can see a good beginning as more members are joining us.

      Perhaps we can start with a brief intro of ourselves, the reasons and aspirations to learn Pali, and suggestions on what we can conduct in this group to help one another in the learning process.

      Let's start with myself. Currently, I am working as an electronics engineer. I have been studying Buddhism for twelve years, however my interest in Pali only started about three years back, when I started to touch on the Tipitaka (in English). However, due to work and study commitments, I did not really develop that interest until last year when I obtained my BSc/Management. So, for the past year, I have been reading up Pali books and have grasped some of the fundamentals. But, I would say there are a lot more to learn, and I have difficulties with many of the excercises in the books. Yes, you are pretty right to think I am stuck somewhere in the books.

      My aim of reading the Tipitaka (in English) is to learn from the Buddha directly in the suttas, to get to know Him personally and let Him be my inspiration and model. Learning Pali will allow me to get much closer to the Buddha, by reading directly from Pali sources written about two thousand years ago.

      I suggest that we all decide on a book to study and work on it together, with the help of computer technology. For those living close to each other, you may want to meet up occasionally for discussions too. I suggest that we choose one of the following texts:

      1. An Elementary Pali Course, Ven. Narada Thera
      2. The New Pali Course, Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta, Maha Nayaka Thero
      3. Pali Primer, Dr. Lily de Silva

      Please contribute your ideas.

      Lastly, I hope you will all enjoy the list.

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 23, 2001
        I mean electronics technician.

        Currently, I am working as an electronics engineer.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 24, 2001
          Hi Pali People,

          I'm very happy to be a part of this Pali site. I have Prof. Buddhadatta's NEW PALI COURSE, and find it to be very authoritative. It is suitable for beginner as well as mid-range. Beginners can concentrate on the grammar parts. If you like you can do the Pali into English translation exercises. (English into Pali exercises can be left to later.)

          I remember hearing Prof. Sumanapala mention he would be taking exercises from this book. Anyway, all the three books mentioned are good. Once we decide on one book, people without it may use photocopies of the relevant and exercises. (I don't think we will finish the book in the next 5 weeks).

          Piya.

          Sukhi!

          Ong Yong Peng wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > welcome to Pali Discussion Group. I can see a good beginning as more members are joining us.
          >
          > Perhaps we can start with a brief intro of ourselves, the reasons and aspirations to learn Pali, and suggestions on what we can conduct in this group to help one another in the learning process.
          >
          > Let's start with myself. Currently, I am working as an electronics engineer. I have been studying Buddhism for twelve years, however my interest in Pali only started about three years back, when I started to touch on the Tipitaka (in English). However, due to work and study commitments, I did not really develop that interest until last year when I obtained my BSc/Management. So, for the past year, I have been reading up Pali books and have grasped some of the fundamentals. But, I would say there are a lot more to learn, and I have difficulties with many of the excercises in the books. Yes, you are pretty right to think I am stuck somewhere in the books.
          >
          > My aim of reading the Tipitaka (in English) is to learn from the Buddha directly in the suttas, to get to know Him personally and let Him be my inspiration and model. Learning Pali will allow me to get much closer to the Buddha, by reading directly from Pali sources written about two thousand years ago.
          >
          > I suggest that we all decide on a book to study and work on it together, with the help of computer technology. For those living close to each other, you may want to meet up occasionally for discussions too. I suggest that we choose one of the following texts:
          >
          > 1. An Elementary Pali Course, Ven. Narada Thera
          > 2. The New Pali Course, Prof. A. P. Buddhadatta, Maha Nayaka Thero
          > 3. Pali Primer, Dr. Lily de Silva
          >
          > Please contribute your ideas.
          >
          > Lastly, I hope you will all enjoy the list.
          >
          > metta,
          > Yong Peng.

        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 25, 2001
            Hi Pali People,

            I would like to warmly recommend "A New Course in Reading Pali" by
            Gair and Karunatillake which is focused on the primary goal of Pali
            student - reading suttas, and very well built methodically, introducing
            original texts from more simple to more complex ones.

            As to other books, I also have 'An Elementary Pali Course' and 'Pali
            Primer' (included on Dhammagiri Chattha Sangayana CD). It seems to me
            that they are old-fashioned methodically and teach unnecessary things,
            such as English-Pali translation, using artificial material and not
            original texts.

            However I am willing to use these other books in the atmosphere of friendly
            mutual support.

            Metta, Dimitry
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 27 2:15 AM
              I would like to say hello to Loriano, Jessica, Timothy, Sharon and
              all new members to the group. Welcome and enjoy.

              YP.
            • Sharon Khoo
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 28 5:01 PM
                Hi I am Sharon Khoo from Penang, Malaysia. I glad to
                find this group and hope to learn as much about
                Buddhism as I can.

                Rgds,
                Sharon Khoo

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/