MS-Word / Unicode "work around"

  • Timothy C. Cahill
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2002
      Dear Andy & others,

      Below is a message which might interest you. Charles Muller has built
      up a "autocorrect" file which can be used within MS Word. It *might*
      save you some time!

      best,
      Tim Cahill

      ----------------------------------
      Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 13:51:18 +0900
      From: Charles Muller <acmuller@...>
      To: H-BUDDHISM@...
      Subject: TECHNICAL>Adding Sanskrit Diacritical Function to AutoCorrect

      From: Charles Muller

      For users of MS-Word:

      As you may be aware, Microsoft Word includes the function of correcting
      misspelled words automatically as you type. If you have not yet
      experienced this, the setting may not yet be turned on. In that case
      please open up Word and to the menu Tools >> AutoCorrect, and check the
      box that says "Replace text as you type."

      If you look at the table of words contained below in that same settings
      box, you will see that you can edit, add, and delete the entries contained
      for this purpose. I have been adding Sanskrit and other
      diacritically-marked terms to this function for a number of years now, so
      that when I am working in Word, and I type a term such as "prajna",
      "samsara", etc., as soon as I hit the space bar after the word the
      appropriate diacritical marks will be attached.

      When one makes changes in this function, these changes are saved (for
      English-US users) in a file named "mso1033.acl" (for users of other
      variants of English, or other European languages, the file is named
      differently, perhaps something like "mso2156.acl" etc.).

      You can locate this file by searching it from the Windows desktop:
      Start >> Search

      Once you can locate it, you can delete it, and replace it with the ACL
      file that I have created. You can find it manually as well.

      For Windows 2000 users, use the desktop Explorer or My Computer to go to
      c:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application
      Data\Microsoft\Office

      For those who don't use US-English, you can edit this file and input it to
      your own language's Autocorrect file by using the Autocorrect Backup macro
      that Microsoft supplies on its Office web site. But you need to have some
      familiarity with Word VBA macros in order to do this.

      My own mso1033.acl file can be downloaded from:
      www.acmuller.net/public/mso1033.acl

      Caveats:
      1) Many of the diacritics contained here, such as underdot characters, are
      only available in a Unicode font, such as TITUS or Arial Unicode. If you
      don't have one of these fonts applied, you will see square boxes where you
      should see fonts.

      2) This file contains tags for automatic XML markup that I use in my work.
      Thus, if you type in Lotus Sutra, you will get <title>Lotus Sutra</title>.
      You can edit/eliminate the entries that contain these tags by opening up
      the file while in Word >> Tools >> Autocorrect. Those who have experience
      with XML and understand the purpose of such tags may want to keep them.

      Enjoy!

      Chuck

      Charles Muller

      Toyo Gakuen University
      Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJK-English Dictionary
      http://www.acmuller.net
    • ������� ���������� ��������� (Dimitry A.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        Hello Andy and everybody,

        A> The alternative to the MS-Word entry method below is creating "macros" to
        A> generate the special characters. The macros would work better,

        Below is an explanation how to set up macros.

        A> System requirements: The font 'Arial Unicode MS' and 'MS-Word 97' (or
        A> better).

        There are also compatible Unicode fonts at
        http://zencomp.com/greatwisdom/fonts/
        They are compact, for example, CN-Times is only 0,9 Mb in size. Few
        people will be willing to download huge Arial Unicode MS just to read
        a single document.

        How to create keyboard shortcuts for Unicode Pali letters:

        1.
        A> a) open a new document in MS-Word
        A> b) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"Symbol..."
        A> c) Choose 'Font: ' Arial Unicode MS (or another Unicode font)
        A> d) Choose 'Subset: ' Basic Latin
        A> e) find the '~n' character in the table and click on it
        A> f) press the button 'Insert'
        A> e) press the button 'Close'
        A> g) in the document, select the ~n character with your mouse
        A> h) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"AutoText"->"AutoText..."

        2. "Insert"->"AutoText"->"New..."->"OK"

        3. "Tools"->"Customize..."->button "Keyboard..."

        4. in "Categories:" list - select "AutoText"

        5. in "AutoText" list select the character [it may show as a small, empty
        square - or even as a completely different character in the list] to which
        no 'current shortcut keys' are assigned.

        6. position cursor in "Press new shortcut key" area

        7. press desired keystroke (<Alt>-a, <Alt>-t, or whatever), button "Assign",
        button "Close", button "Close"

        Notes: with the AutoText method, you will get the character only in the font
        you specified.

        A> Here is where you can find the Pali special characters in the font 'Subset:
        A> ' groups:

        A> ~n Basic Latin
        A> aa Latin Extended-A
        A> ii Latin Extended-A
        A> uu Latin Extended-A
        A> (Subset: Latin Extended Additional is way down the list of subsets)
        A> .d Latin Extended Additional
        A> .l Latin Extended Additional
        A> .m Latin Extended Additional
        A> .n Latin Extended Additional
        A> "n Latin Extended Additional
        A> .t Latin Extended Additional

        Why Unicode? I use it because such fonts:
        - fully support multilingual document, without overlapping of
        characters;
        - one can search and replace any character (solving the problem with
        .t retroflexive in other fonts);
        - one can easily convert Word documents to HTML format without losing
        any characters;
        - most Pali characters in such HTML documents (except retroflexive)
        will be displayed correctly even without the Unicode font.

        Mettena cittena,
        Dimitry