More Pali Numbers - grammar study

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      svaagata.m!

      In Paliwords 5.0 (under development - not for release yet) I make it
      possible to pull out certain types of words using wildcards. In other words,
      if a person is studying "masculine nouns that end with a" - they can:
      a) pull a list of them out of Paliwords
      b) save the file to disk (as a normal text file pre-formatted for use with a
      word processor or for loading into Input Easy, and
      c) studying these words

      The following are definitely "HANDLE WITH CARE - UNCERTAIN" numbers right
      now. I've done a quick visual check of the output lists and they look
      reliable.

      I offer the numbers with the hope that they will inspire beginning Pali
      students.

      Total entries (note last number of 21119 was inaccurate!) is 20119.

      1926 Total verb entries (ati and eti)
      8465 Total noun entries
      4590 Total other entries

      5138 Total entries adding information about eti and ati verbs.

      Verbs
      1370 ending in 'ati' (plus 5008 forms of 'ati' - aor, pp, etc)
      556 ending in 'eti' (plus 130 forms of 'eti' - caus, etc)
      Nouns
      3171 neuter a
      3121 masc a
      903 feminine aa
      426 fem i
      249 fem ii
      174 masc u
      157 masc ii
      122 masc i
      60 neuter u
      52 fem u
      14 masc uu
      10 neuter i
      3 n ii
      3 fem uu
      Other
      3490 adjectives
      317 adverbs
      187 indeclinables
      596 short expressions, interjections, pronouns, irregular verbs, etc.

      Note: you can see another reason why the study of word *forms* is so handy.
      Various forms of bhikkhu are very common, but masculine nouns ending in u
      are not very common.

      By studying the word forms while you are learning your grammar, you can
      learn the various forms of bhikkhu that are actually used(!) while
      concentrating your grammar study on the types of words offering the widest
      possible vocabulary (neut a, masc a, etc).

      Anyway, every little bit helps.

      sotthi!

      Andy