MS-Word / Unicode "work around"

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      svaagata.m!

      This is more of a "work around" than it is a solution.

      It isn't perfect, but it is a lot easier than remembering the codes for
      characters. It might be a good idea for people to write Microsoft an email
      suggesting that:
      a) they make it possible for users to create custom transliteration tables
      for any font, and
      b) that they make it possible for people to share their transliteration
      tables by email.

      This would solve the "user entry" side of data entry for multi-lingual
      people (and multi-language documents) once and for all. Pre-defined "Input
      Method Editors" (IMEs) are *not* the solution (for a lot of reasons - both
      because of weird little problems in the "internal machine representation"
      with Unicode/fonts *and* the many differing needs of users entering data).

      The alternative to the MS-Word entry method below is creating "macros" to
      generate the special characters. The macros would work better, but:
      a) you would have to remember the macro names
      b) you need to find some keystroke combinations that Word (and your other
      macros) does not already use.
      c) you would need to know how to create and use macros.

      It should take you about about 10 minutes to set up the characters using the
      method below.

      System requirements: The font 'Arial Unicode MS' and 'MS-Word 97' (or
      better). If you do not have the font, you can download it from the Microsoft
      web site. It is a huge font (about 8Mb? as a download and 40Mb. installed.)
      The font comes 'standard' with many Windows computers since the year 2000.

      Here is what I discovered:

      a) open a new document in MS-Word
      b) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"Symbol..."
      c) Choose 'Font: ' Arial Unicode MS
      d) Choose 'Subset: ' Basic Latin
      e) find the '~n' character in the table and click on it
      f) press the button 'Insert'
      e) press the button 'Close'
      g) in the document, select the ~n character with your mouse
      h) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"AutoText"->"AutoText..."
      i) press on the tab at the top called 'AutoCorrect'
      j) now you see the character in a box called 'With: '.
      h) to the left of that is a box called 'Replace: '
      i) enter ~n in the box called 'Replace: "
      j) press the button 'OK'

      (Note: Now, to get the character keep this in mind - MS-Word wants to
      "auto-correct" a *word* for you. This means that you need to have a blank
      character before the ~n and after the ~n.)

      So, now type:
      a) a blank space
      b) ~n (nothing happens)
      c) a blank space (and the ~n character is there).

      Comments:

      1) you will need to put a blank before *and* after the Pali special
      characters, and then go back and remove the extra blanks after you are
      finished typing your word.
      2) The Unicode fonts are a total marketing fake-out: a) they aren't really
      standardized at all and b)not all Unicode fonts have all of the characters!
      Oh well... I know that 'Arial Unicode MS' works for Pali.
      3) You may wish to use !n for the 'overdot n' (instead of "n). Otherwise,
      every time you enter a real quote that starts with the character n then the
      text will transliterate.
      4) You only need to enter the characters once. This sets the transliteration
      characters for all MS-Word documents, not just the document that you are
      currently working on.
      5) This works for any characters in any language in the Unicode fonts (in
      case you need other characters from other languages and you want to use
      'transliteration' codes for them).
      6) You will *not* be able to get capitalized Pali characters using this
      method.

      Here is where you can find the Pali special characters in the font 'Subset:
      ' groups:

      ~n Basic Latin
      aa Latin Extended-A
      ii Latin Extended-A
      uu Latin Extended-A
      (Subset: Latin Extended Additional is way down the list of subsets)
      .d Latin Extended Additional
      .l Latin Extended Additional
      .m Latin Extended Additional
      .n Latin Extended Additional
      "n Latin Extended Additional
      .t Latin Extended Additional

      Last but not least: Palitrans 2.0 supports easy, natural, direct
      transliteration and the following Pali fonts:
      a) Times CSX+
      b) VriRomanPali (used on CSCD)
      c) Leedsbit PaliTranslit
      d) Times Norman
      e) Skt Times

      So, if Unicode isn't that important to you, it is probably easier just to
      use Palitrans 2.0.

      So, it would help everybody in the world if people would at least email
      Microsoft and ask for customizable and shareable transliteration tables in
      MS-Word.

      Good luck!

      peace from

      Andy

      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2002
        Dear Andy & others,

        Below is a message which might interest you. Charles Muller has built
        up a "autocorrect" file which can be used within MS Word. It *might*
        save you some time!

        best,
        Tim Cahill

        ----------------------------------
        Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 13:51:18 +0900
        From: Charles Muller <acmuller@...>
        To: H-BUDDHISM@...
        Subject: TECHNICAL>Adding Sanskrit Diacritical Function to AutoCorrect

        From: Charles Muller

        For users of MS-Word:

        As you may be aware, Microsoft Word includes the function of correcting
        misspelled words automatically as you type. If you have not yet
        experienced this, the setting may not yet be turned on. In that case
        please open up Word and to the menu Tools >> AutoCorrect, and check the
        box that says "Replace text as you type."

        If you look at the table of words contained below in that same settings
        box, you will see that you can edit, add, and delete the entries contained
        for this purpose. I have been adding Sanskrit and other
        diacritically-marked terms to this function for a number of years now, so
        that when I am working in Word, and I type a term such as "prajna",
        "samsara", etc., as soon as I hit the space bar after the word the
        appropriate diacritical marks will be attached.

        When one makes changes in this function, these changes are saved (for
        English-US users) in a file named "mso1033.acl" (for users of other
        variants of English, or other European languages, the file is named
        differently, perhaps something like "mso2156.acl" etc.).

        You can locate this file by searching it from the Windows desktop:
        Start >> Search

        Once you can locate it, you can delete it, and replace it with the ACL
        file that I have created. You can find it manually as well.

        For Windows 2000 users, use the desktop Explorer or My Computer to go to
        c:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application
        Data\Microsoft\Office

        For those who don't use US-English, you can edit this file and input it to
        your own language's Autocorrect file by using the Autocorrect Backup macro
        that Microsoft supplies on its Office web site. But you need to have some
        familiarity with Word VBA macros in order to do this.

        My own mso1033.acl file can be downloaded from:
        www.acmuller.net/public/mso1033.acl

        Caveats:
        1) Many of the diacritics contained here, such as underdot characters, are
        only available in a Unicode font, such as TITUS or Arial Unicode. If you
        don't have one of these fonts applied, you will see square boxes where you
        should see fonts.

        2) This file contains tags for automatic XML markup that I use in my work.
        Thus, if you type in Lotus Sutra, you will get <title>Lotus Sutra</title>.
        You can edit/eliminate the entries that contain these tags by opening up
        the file while in Word >> Tools >> Autocorrect. Those who have experience
        with XML and understand the purpose of such tags may want to keep them.

        Enjoy!

        Chuck

        Charles Muller

        Toyo Gakuen University
        Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJK-English Dictionary
        http://www.acmuller.net
      • ������� ���������� ��������� (Dimitry A.
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2002
          Hello Andy and everybody,

          A> The alternative to the MS-Word entry method below is creating "macros" to
          A> generate the special characters. The macros would work better,

          Below is an explanation how to set up macros.

          A> System requirements: The font 'Arial Unicode MS' and 'MS-Word 97' (or
          A> better).

          There are also compatible Unicode fonts at
          http://zencomp.com/greatwisdom/fonts/
          They are compact, for example, CN-Times is only 0,9 Mb in size. Few
          people will be willing to download huge Arial Unicode MS just to read
          a single document.

          How to create keyboard shortcuts for Unicode Pali letters:

          1.
          A> a) open a new document in MS-Word
          A> b) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"Symbol..."
          A> c) Choose 'Font: ' Arial Unicode MS (or another Unicode font)
          A> d) Choose 'Subset: ' Basic Latin
          A> e) find the '~n' character in the table and click on it
          A> f) press the button 'Insert'
          A> e) press the button 'Close'
          A> g) in the document, select the ~n character with your mouse
          A> h) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"AutoText"->"AutoText..."

          2. "Insert"->"AutoText"->"New..."->"OK"

          3. "Tools"->"Customize..."->button "Keyboard..."

          4. in "Categories:" list - select "AutoText"

          5. in "AutoText" list select the character [it may show as a small, empty
          square - or even as a completely different character in the list] to which
          no 'current shortcut keys' are assigned.

          6. position cursor in "Press new shortcut key" area

          7. press desired keystroke (<Alt>-a, <Alt>-t, or whatever), button "Assign",
          button "Close", button "Close"

          Notes: with the AutoText method, you will get the character only in the font
          you specified.

          A> Here is where you can find the Pali special characters in the font 'Subset:
          A> ' groups:

          A> ~n Basic Latin
          A> aa Latin Extended-A
          A> ii Latin Extended-A
          A> uu Latin Extended-A
          A> (Subset: Latin Extended Additional is way down the list of subsets)
          A> .d Latin Extended Additional
          A> .l Latin Extended Additional
          A> .m Latin Extended Additional
          A> .n Latin Extended Additional
          A> "n Latin Extended Additional
          A> .t Latin Extended Additional

          Why Unicode? I use it because such fonts:
          - fully support multilingual document, without overlapping of
          characters;
          - one can search and replace any character (solving the problem with
          .t retroflexive in other fonts);
          - one can easily convert Word documents to HTML format without losing
          any characters;
          - most Pali characters in such HTML documents (except retroflexive)
          will be displayed correctly even without the Unicode font.

          Mettena cittena,
          Dimitry