Re: [Pali] Reference source

  • Bill Strider
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2002
      This story comes from the book "Living Buddha, Living
      Christ." Here's a direct quote, which I found at

      www.spiritsite.com/writing/thihan/part4.shtml

      "Twenty years ago at a conference I attended of
      theologians, and professors of religion, an Indian
      Christian friend told the assembly, "We are going to hear
      about the beauties of several traditions, but that does not
      mean that we are going to make a fruit salad." When it came
      my turn to speak, I said, "Fruit salad can be delicious! I
      have shared the Eucharist with Father Daniel Berrigan, and
      our worship became, possible because of the sufferings we
      Vietnamese and Americans shared over many years." Some of
      the Buddhists present were shocked to hear I had
      participated in the Eucharist, and many Christians seemed
      truly horrified. To me, religious life is life. I do not
      see any reason to spend one's whole life tasting just one
      kind of fruit. We human beings can be nourished by the best
      values of many traditions."

      -- Thich Nhat Hanh, "Living Buddha, Living Christ"

      Metta,

      Bill

      http://health.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        Bill,

        Thank you for your info and introduction to the very helpful website.

        P.

        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          David,

          Thanks for your useful info and the Amazon site which gave the original imprint.
          I found more than what I was looking for. Reading Thich Nhat Hanh brings back happy
          memories when I was in Berkeley, and met his publisher at Parallax.

          P.