Beginners Pali Cannon

  • Hope Raven
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
      As Andy mentions, most(if not all) people who want to learn Pali do it to
      read the Cannon. The only hard copy of a Pali grammer I've got is "A New
      Course in Reading Pali: entering the word of the Buddha" by James W. Gair
      and W.S. Karunatillake. The nice thing about this book is that the lessons
      are taught via extracts from the Cannon. Now all I need to do is make a
      learning file out of it for Andy's Input Easy program so I'll actually get
      down to the business of properly learning the vocab ;)

      If anyone wants to get hold of this book it's published in India by Motilal
      Banarsidass for Rs. 250. I bought my copy from Amazon.co.uk for �10.
      Amazon.com also stock it for $15

    • Andy
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 2:53 PM
        svaagata.m!

        If you do create a learning file with vocab (and perhaps phrases/sentences)
        let me know on-list. I think a lot of people could use it (including me!). I
        don't have a copy of the book (yet!) but I have only heard great reviews and
        comments about it.

        One thing that is nice about using Input Easy is that it enforces and
        insists on correct spelling while you are learning the Pali words. Spelling
        is important in the Pali Canon. A small spelling mistake can radically
        change the meaning of a word in the Pali Canon. ;-)

        sotthi!

        Andy

        Message 3 of 3 , May 2 2:57 PM
          Hello Hope,
          I'm currently going through this book too. It is very
          good. I've started creating an Input Easy vocab file
          for this already, and have about 4 chapters entered -
          perhaps we could collaborate and share the load of the
          data entry. Let me know if you're interested and I'll
          send you a copy of what I have already.

          Best wishes,
          John

          http://health.yahoo.com