Reference source

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2002
      Friends,

      I'm writing paper for an inter-religious forum. This is one anecdote I
      would like to use. Could anyone help me with the source of this story:

      "Thich Nhat Hanh, the wellknown Vietnamese Buddhist monk, activist, and
      poet, now living in France, once attended an inter-religious
      forum. Speakers were telling how each religion should respect other
      religions, and not mix things up so as to end as fruit salad. When Nhat
      Hanh's turn to speak came, he said that 'loved fruit salad'!"

      Thanks & sukhi.

      P.

    • Bill Strider
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2002
        This story comes from the book "Living Buddha, Living
        Christ." Here's a direct quote, which I found at

        www.spiritsite.com/writing/thihan/part4.shtml

        "Twenty years ago at a conference I attended of
        theologians, and professors of religion, an Indian
        Christian friend told the assembly, "We are going to hear
        about the beauties of several traditions, but that does not
        mean that we are going to make a fruit salad." When it came
        my turn to speak, I said, "Fruit salad can be delicious! I
        have shared the Eucharist with Father Daniel Berrigan, and
        our worship became, possible because of the sufferings we
        Vietnamese and Americans shared over many years." Some of
        the Buddhists present were shocked to hear I had
        participated in the Eucharist, and many Christians seemed
        truly horrified. To me, religious life is life. I do not
        see any reason to spend one's whole life tasting just one
        kind of fruit. We human beings can be nourished by the best
        values of many traditions."

        -- Thich Nhat Hanh, "Living Buddha, Living Christ"

        Metta,

        Bill

        --- Piya Tan <libris@...> wrote:
        > Friends,
        >
        > I'm writing paper for an inter-religious forum. This is
        > one anecdote I
        > would like to use. Could anyone help me with the source
        > of this story:
        >
        > "Thich Nhat Hanh, the wellknown Vietnamese Buddhist monk,
        > activist, and
        > poet, now living in France, once attended an
        > inter-religious
        > forum. Speakers were telling how each religion should
        > respect other
        > religions, and not mix things up so as to end as fruit
        > salad. When Nhat
        > Hanh's turn to speak came, he said that 'loved fruit
        > salad'!"
        >
        > Thanks & sukhi.
        >
        > P.

        http://health.yahoo.com
      • David Yeung
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          Piya Tan wrote:
          > I'm writing paper for an inter-religious forum. This is one anecdote I
          > would like to use. Could anyone help me with the source of this story:

          Hi,

          The story comes from the first chapter of his book _Living Buddha,
          Living Christ_, in a slightly different form than you've quoted above.

          http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1573225681/002-8919959-3521610

          --
          David Yeung

          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
          Message 4 of 5 , May 1, 2002
            Bill,

            Thank you for your info and introduction to the very helpful website.

            P.

            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2002
              David,

              Thanks for your useful info and the Amazon site which gave the original imprint.
              I found more than what I was looking for. Reading Thich Nhat Hanh brings back happy
              memories when I was in Berkeley, and met his publisher at Parallax.

              P.