Pali Day by Day E002

  • Florent Robert
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      Hello,
      Please find below the answers to the second part of Ex1 p6.
      With Metta,
      Florent

      The new Pali Course Part I
      Post: E002
      Exercise 1B: Translate into English

      11. Aakaasena
      Through the sky.

      12. Bhuupaalebhi.
      From the kings.

      13. Devaa.
      Gods.

      14. Canda.m.
      The moon.

      15. Gaamasmaa.
      From the village.

      16. Go.naaya.
      For the ox.

      17. Siihaana.m.
      For the lions.

      18. Asso.
      From the community.

      19. Sakuna.
      The horse.

      20. Ma~ncasmin.
      On the bed.

      Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
      Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
    • rsalm
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
        The new Pali Course Part I
        Post: E002
        Exercise 1B: Translate into English

        16. Go.naaya.
        For the ox.
        > Yes, and this is new to me, being an intermediate student. See Geiger, 77.2. The fem, 'to/for/from/on/in etc. the cow' would be gaaviyaa (fem. dat-gen-abl-loc sg.; PED 250; Buddhaddatta p. 34; Perniola 36; Warder 152). Please correct me if this is not correct.

        18. Asso.
        From the community.

        > the horse (nom. sg.)

        19. Sakuna.
        The horse.
        > bird, 'O bird' (voc. sg.)

        Rene

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 20, 2005
          Dear Florent, Rene and friends,

          I think go.naaya = for/to the ox is good, as go.no = ox. According to
          PED, this is a special case where a Pali word is absorbed into the
          Sanskrit vocabulary.