Pali Day by Day Series E

  • Florent Robert
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2005
      Hello,
      My name is Florent. I am a French national who is
      living in Manila, Philippines and teaching French to
      teenagers in an International School. I have been
      practising Vipassana meditation (Goenka school) for a
      couple of years and have always been interested to
      learn Pali but could never find a teacher. Finally I
      was lucky to meet by sheer chance the only Singhalese
      buddhist monk living in the Philippines, who also
      happens to be proficient in several languages, among
      which Pali and Sanskrit. Although Bhante will
      unfortunately be going back to Sri Lanka very soon, he
      agreed to teach me the basics of Pali. Finding a book
      was not an easy task either but Bhante got hold of
      "The new Pali course Part 1&2" by Prof. A.P.
      Buddhadatta, Maha Nayaka Thero. Part 1 comprises 28
      exercises and I will be sharing my answers
      (after correction from Bhante) every Tuesday and
      Thursday. I also have quite a few recordings (in MP3
      format) of the exercises read by Bhante.
      With metta,
      Florent

      The new Pali Course
      Exercise 1A: Translate into English

      1. Manussaana.m.
      For the men.

      2. Purise.
      Men.

      3. Hattha.m.
      The hand.

      4. Paadamhi.
      On the leg.

      5. Kaayena.
      With the body.

      6. Buddhesu.
      On the Buddhas.

      7. Dhamma.m.
      The Doctrine.

      8. Sa`nghamhaa.
      From the community.

      9. Suriye.
      Suns.

      10.Rukkhassa.
      Of the tree.

      Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 1 Go d'espace de stockage pour vos mails, photos et vidéos !
      Créez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2005
        Dear Florent and friends,

        I would like to thank Florent for his generous contribution to the
        group. So far, there have been five Pali Day by Day series. Here is a
        summary:

        Series A: Pali Primer (completed)
        Series B: A New Course in Reading Pali (completed)
        Series C: Introduction to Pali
        Series D: An Elementary Pali Course
        Series E: The New Pali Course Part I

        More information of these series and solutions are available here:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/

        The schedule Florent and I have agreed upon is as follows:
        Series D: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
        Series E: Tuesday, Thursday

        The speed at which each book will be completed is up to the
        individual doing the postings. We have, however, agreed not to do
        more than a part of an exercise each week. An exercise typically has
        two parts (translate into English, translate into Pali).

        At this point in time, I think it is also good to review the progress
        of Series D. We are currently at Lesson 21, which is close to
        completing all the exercises. Next month, we shall proceed to work on
        the selected Pali texts at the end of the book. That could well take
        us right up to the end of the year.

        Privately, I have just finished exercise in Lesson 23. I will spend
        some time reading the remaining three lessons before proceeding with
        the selected passages.

        So much for the update, Florent and I shall look forward to your
        participation in the discussions.

      • Yuttadhammo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          Dear Florent,

          Thank you for the Pali. I don't have the book you use yet, but I think it
          might be useful anyway for me to include some variant readings, so I'm doing
          so:

          > The new Pali Course
          > Exercise 1A: Translate into English
          >
          > 1. Manussaana.m.
          > For the men.
          also

          of the men

          to the men

          > 2. Purise.
          > Men.

          also

          in/on/in regards to the man

          > 3. Hattha.m.
          > The hand.
          >
          > 4. Paadamhi.
          > On the leg.

          or in/in regards to the leg

          > 5. Kaayena.
          > With the body.

          also

          by the body

          > 6. Buddhesu.
          > On the Buddhas.

          also in/in regards to the Buddhas

          > 7. Dhamma.m.
          > The Doctrine.
          >
          > 8. Sa`nghamhaa.
          > From the community.
          >
          > 9. Suriye.
          > Suns.

          also

          in/on/in regards to the sun

          > 10.Rukkhassa.
          > Of the tree.

          also to/for the tree

          Best wishes,

          Yuttadhammo
        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
            I appreciate that there will be a new Pali Day by Day series. Thank
            you, Florent and Yong Peng.

            Update on Series C: Warder's "Introduction to Pali"
            I'm currently sending bite-size snippets (about 3 per week) of the
            translation passages in Chapter 21. Am personally working my way
            through the exercises in Chapter 22 (very slowly!) This series will
            continue, even though I'm not sure there's much interest in it on this
            list at the moment.

            Metta,
            John

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 24, 2005
              Dear friends,

              I have made arrangements with John, and also previously with Florent,
              to have a nice schedule for the Pali texts we are covering. The
              schedule on a weekly basis shall be as such:

              Series C: Introduction to Pali
              Every Wednesday and Saturday until completion.

              Series D: An Elementary Pali Course
              Every Monday and Friday until completion.

              Series E: The New Pali Course Part I
              Every Tuesday and Thursday until completion.

              More information of these series and solutions are available here:
              http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/palidd/

              I hope that this schedule will enable greater planning and learning
              flexibility for individuals who are following them.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
                Dear John, Florent and friends,

                I am sorry to inform you of a change in schedule. I have found an
                engineering job and would be starting work next week. It is a five-day
                week job, but the working hours can be irregular at time. So, I reckon
                I will have less time on weekdays. Hence, this change only after a week.

                The previous schedule has actually been planned sometime back, but only
                announced last week. But, still, I am thankful to John and Florent for
                being understanding and accomodating.

                The new schedule is as such:

                Series C: Introduction to Pali
                Every Tuesday and Thursday until completion.

                Series D: An Elementary Pali Course
                Every Wednesday and Saturday until end of August, then
                every alternate Wednesday until completion.

                Series E: The New Pali Course Part I
                Every Monday and Friday until completion.

                I wish you the best in your Pali study.