Project Proposal: "Pali by Numbers"

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 29, 2002
      svaagatam!

      I would like to start with the top 100 word forms. They account for 31% of
      all the words in the Pali Canon *as you see them*.

      An entry would look like this:

      word form:
      count:
      baseword:
      definition: (very basic)
      grammar form(s):
      example(s): short, simple example(s) with their English translation(s).
      notes:

      Please use Pali transliteration for the Pali parts.

      Even if two or three people do the list at the same time, the group can
      benefit from the various defintions/examples. Any typos or "unclear" bits
      can be spotted and discussed quickly.

      Here are the top 100 word forms on the CSCD with their counts.

      57441 ca
      48363 na
      42278 ti
      38467 ...pe...
      32159 vaa
      30446 kho
      26425 bhikkhave
      26150 hoti
      14963 dhammo
      14493 so
      14451 uppajjati
      14076 paccayo
      13848 tattha
      13671 pa.ticca
      13339 ta.m
      13192 dhammaa
      13141 dhamma.m
      12872 te
      11886 eva.m
      11323 pana
      10817 tassa
      10813 no
      10671 eka.m
      9827 bhikkhu
      9512 tii.ni
      9422 tesa.m
      9275 me
      8893 bhagavaa
      8767 bhante
      8155 dve
      7815 aya.m
      7444 atha
      6878 tena
      6846 ya.m
      6810 hetupaccayaa
      6654 nava
      6626 atthi
      6499 yo
      6432 ye
      6348 dhammassa
      6070 bhikkhuu
      6043 aamantaa
      5955 citta.m
      5714 khandhaa
      5688 yassa
      5304 ruupa.m
      4646 pa~nca
      4641 viharati
      4518 aavuso
      4506 vuccati
      4448 ida.m
      4423 ceva
      4345 aapatti
      4330 ka
      4314 kha
      4239 naama
      4162 idha
      3968 ime
      3894 yattha
      3893 bhagavato
      3884 yathaa
      3776 siyaa
      3741 khandhe
      3651 sa.mkhitta.m
      3604 natthi
      3586 satta
      3561 hi
      3489 mahaaraaja
      3403 yena
      3369 paccayaa
      3324 tato
      3294 puggalo
      3291 vattabbe
      3285 iti
      3206 aayasmaa
      3146 tayo
      3118 tasmi.m
      3068 hetu
      3023 nu
      2990 samaye
      2985 honti
      2979 yaa
      2952 uppajjissati
      2924 etadavoca
      2796 aha.m
      2786 samayena
      2777 hetuyaa
      2677 bhagavanta.m
      2650 ki.m
      2627 tva.m
      2622 heva.m
      2604 khandhaana.m
      2559 ekamanta.m
      2534 vedanaaya
      2519 dukkha.m
      2470 bhagavataa
      2468 samannaagato
      2435 ma.m
      2430 jhaana.m
      2400 uppajjanti

      That's a total of 843,592 words (about 31%) of all the words in the Pali
      Canon - exactly as you will see them on the CSCD.

      Does anyone want to take on this list and post it to the group? Filled out,
      the email would be about 3K and I think that this is acceptable on the
      group. Any objections if someone wants to fill out the list and post the
      "completed list" on the group?

      sotthi!

      Andy
    • Bittar Gabriel, PhD, Geneva University
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
        Dear Andy,

        thank you so much for the list of 100 most common Pali forms. It was for me
        an excellent test of my basic understanding of Pali, and I was quite
        satisfied to score a 100% understanding of these! :) :)

        I think everyone would be happy if you could send the next list of hundred
        forms ? Well, at least that would make me very happy.

        I would like to help you set up this important Project Proposal: "Pali by
        Numbers" - I am not sure how I could be useful, except that I look forward
        to a French version of this project, which I could of course take care of.

        Good day.

        Gabriel

        Jacqueline "Gotamî Jîvarakkhî" Bittar
        Dr Gabriel "Ananda Jîvasattha" Bittar,
        PhD University of Geneva
        phone +61 8 8553 7442 , fax +61 8 8553 7444
        mob. ph. +61 4 2743 5148

        Institut Suisse de Bioinformatique
        Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
        http://www.isb-sib.ch/DEA/plan_etudes.html
        email: bittar@...

        Université Bouddhique Européenne
        http://www.bouddhisme-universite.org/universite/programme/cours-et-stages/inter
        venants.html

        À Bientôt Seayu Lodge, http://www.seayu.com
        email: bittar@...

        Buddhâyatana, http://www.buddhayatana.org
        email: buddhayatana@...

        4/5 Warawee road / 34 Falie court
        PO box 281, American River, Kangaroo Island
        South Australia 5221

        GMT +9h30 (allow for +1h when "summer time" in SA)

        a'niccâ vata san'khârâ
        ( a'niccaa vata san'khaaraa )
        "impermanent are structural processes"
        "instables sont les flux structurels"
        Siddhârtha (Siddhaartha) Gautama Buddha
      • Goh Ah Lam
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 30, 2002
          Hi Andy and friends

          Thanks for your effort.
          I have always having trouble in learning Pali but always unable to remember
          what I have gone through. With you having do the compilation I really hope
          to benefit much from it.

          Metta
          Lam