RE: Paravaadin, Theravadin, Tomayto, Tomahto, let's call the whole thing off...

  • Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30 5:58 PM
      > "Heck, there are even some suttas that I can't honestly
      > trust. I know that one of them is rather obviously edited:
      > Dakkhinavibhanga Sutta (MN142). The Mahavihara Commentaries
      > on the other hand introduce ideas unsupported and seemingly
      > contradicted by the suttas, such as the idea that rebirth is
      > necessarily immediate."
      >
      > If you do not trust Pali Tipi.taka, then it amounts to you
      > disputing the authority of the powerful Arahants and their
      > disciples who have been preserving them by means of the
      > Re-affirming Congress Recitals, six-times so far.

      We could always turn to the trusty Dakkhinavibhanga Sutta (MN 142) for
      advice on this:

      "When a passionless person to a passionless person gives
      With trusting heart a gift righteously obtained,
      Placing faith that the fruit of action is great,
      That gift, I say, is the best of worldly gifts."

      May we all become passionless, through our dhammanudhammaapatipati.

      Yuttadhammo