Re: [Pali] Pali by Numbers - 1

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2002
      Andy,

      This is good news. The most important reason we all learn Pali I'm sure is to
      understand the Pali Canon directly. I'm studying and teaching Pali at the same time,
      so your ideas are very welcome.

      Do send me your "word counts".

      Sukhi.

      P.

    • ypong001
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2002
        Dear Andy, Piya and friends,

        I agree with the importance of knowing the most common words in the
        Pali canon. That will make the Tipitaka "readable" and comprehensive,
        rather than having to refer to a dictionary every now and then.

        The file section is opened to all members for uploading. However, you
        *need* a Yahoo! account to do that, other than being a member of this
        group.

        Please send me a copy, Andy. Thank you.

        --- Piya Tan wrote:
        > Andy,
        >
        > This is good news. The most important reason we all learn Pali I'm
        sure is to understand the Pali Canon directly. I'm studying and
        teaching Pali at the same time, so your ideas are very welcome.

        > Do send me your "word counts".
        >
        > Sukhi.
        >
        > P.
      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
          b> I have seen "upaadaanakkhanda" translated in many ways ie. aggregates
          b> affected by clinging, aggregates that are a condition for clinging,
          b> the clinging aggregates, aggregates subject to clinging etc.

          b> "Aggregates that are a condition for clinging" seems to me to best
          b> convey the meaning, thought it is a rather bulky translation.

          I would say "aggregates of clinging". This would convey several
          meanings:
          - aggregates being material support or fuel;
          - aggregates connected with clinging (as cause or object).

          There's nobody who clings, so aggregates are both cause and object.
          When clinging ceases, aggregates cease.

          The condition (paccayo) for 'upaadaana' is 'ta.nhaa'.
          Rather 'upaadaana' is a condition for 'khandhaa'.

          Mettena,
          Dimitry
        • bodhi2500
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2002
            Hi Dimitry
            Thank-you for the reply Dimitry. "Aggregates of clinging"
            sounds great.
            Anumodanaa.

            --- In Pali@y..., "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"