Re: [Pali] Four Great Standards

  • 蘇 錦坤
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2005
      This Paragraph ("The four great teaching method" as
      translated in Chinese) has been quoted in both Agama
      and Vinaya. If this guideline for Sangiti (collections
      of sutta) were well followed-up, there would not be so
      many odd stories in Tipitaka.
      Yifer
      --- Kumaara Bhikkhu <venkumara@...> 寫:

      ---------------------------------
      Four Great Standards. Before he passed away, the
      Buddha gave us practical advice to assess situations
      in which we hear a monk proclaiming that what he
      teaches "is the Dhamma... the Vinaya... the teachings
      of the Master". He may say that he heard and learned
      it in the presence of
      * the Buddha himself,
      * a Sangha in a certain monastery with its theras
      (elders) and leaders,
      * many learned theras in a certain monastery who
      are holders of the traditional teachings, bearers of
      the Dhamma, Vinaya, and the summaries, or
      * a learned thera in a certain monastery who is a
      holder of the traditional teachings, bearer of the
      Dhamma, Vinaya, and the summaries.
      In such situations, without rejoicing in or scorning
      the monk's words, we should investigate to see if such
      teachings are included in the suttas or seen in the
      Vinaya. If they are, we may conclude that they are the
      words of the Buddha and that they have been well
      learned by the speaker. Otherwise, we may conclude
      that they are not the words of the Buddha and that
      they have been wrongly learned by the speaker, and so
      we should reject them.

      (Extracted from the MahaPariNibbana Sutta, summarised
      & translated by Aggacitta Bhikkhu)

      - - - -
      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com
      Yahoo! Groups members can set their delivery options
      to daily digest or web only.

      Terms of Service.

      Yahoo!奇摩電子信箱
      免費容量250MB,信件在多也不怕