Josaphat and Barlaam

  • Gunnar Gällmo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2005
      --- Mandaamin <coomler@...> skrev::
      > Excuse me for adding one thing, if it has not
      > already been mentioned:
      >
      > In the calendar of saints of the Eastern Orthodox
      > and Catholic churches,
      > there is a saint called Ioasaf/Ioasaph in Eastern
      > Orthodoxy and Josaphat
      > in Catholicism.

      A Latin version is included in the Legenda Aurea, from
      about 1260.

      The Christians, if I am correctly informed, imported
      the story from the Muslims, who called the main person
      "Budasp", from "Bodhisattva"; a comrade of Josaphat´s
      in the Christian story is called Barlaam, probably
      from "Bhagavaa", so the poor prince seems to have
      acquired a split personality...

      Gunnar

      gunnargallmo@...