Input Easy software version 1.4

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2002
      Hi!

      Note: for anyone unfamiliar with my software - it's all free under the GNU
      General Public License. If you have a copy of the software and a friend is
      interested in trying it out, then you can just copy it to a diskette and
      give it to them. There is no "special access code" that you need to use the
      software. The software runs under Windows 95 and above.

      INPUT EASY

      For anyone using Input Easy - I have version 1.4 ready if you would like to
      help test it.

      This is a very big improvement over version 1.3.

      a) you can "copy/cut/paste" facts between chapters
      b) it requires at least 800x600 screen resolution - because the input areas
      are larger. This means you can put more text into the software with your
      facts.

      Non-pali stuff

      c) in case you are an English speaking person studying French or German - it
      supports French and German transliteration for easy entry of the special
      characters on an English language keyboard.
      d) if you really want to get fancy - Input Easy "speaks" English, French and
      German. It uses the speech engine from "Learnout & Hauspie" (used in many
      commercial software programs) to do "text to speech".
      e) if you choose to use them - it has some fun "professionally animated
      characters" to make the learning more fun

      The bottom line: if you are studying French or German you can enter the
      words, phrases and sentences from your textbook into Input Easy and (if you
      want) you will hear the word/phrase/sentence. If you are studying English
      language facts, you can hear them read to you. The sound feature makes it
      much easier to remember the facts.

      The program is 384Kb unzipped and about 100Kb zipped. I can email it to you,
      if you wish to try it out.

      My email address is:
      721910352@...

      peace from

      Andy

    • bodhi2500
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 27, 2002
        --- In Pali@y..., "Andy" <721910352@t...> wrote:
        > INPUT EASY
        >
        > For anyone using Input Easy - I have version 1.4 ready if you would
        like to
        > help test it.

        Hi Andy
        I would love to test drive the 1.4 version,I have been using
        the 1.3 version and found it very helpful. Is it possible to enter
        the "top 1000 word *forms* (exactly as you see them in the Pali Canon)
        accounting for 55% of all the words you will see in the Pali Canon."
        into the 1.4 version? I for one would like to see the "top 1000 word
        form" file and the mp3 sound files posted in the files section.

        my email> Bodhi2500@...

        Thank-you
      • David Yeung
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 8:38 AM
          Andy wrote:
          > Note: for anyone unfamiliar with my software - it's all free under the GNU
          > General Public License. If you have a copy of the software and a friend is
          > interested in trying it out, then you can just copy it to a diskette and
          > give it to them. There is no "special access code" that you need to use the
          > software. The software runs under Windows 95 and above.

          Hi Andy,

          Welcome back. And thanks for your efforts in developing software for Pali.

          I would be interested in the list of the most common Pali words. So please
          do post it or upload it to the files section.

          About your software, do you still have a web site? Have you thought of
          submitting your files to large file sites such as CNET (download.com),
          etc. where they may have a more "permanent" location? Also, if people are
          willing to "mirror" your files, can they put them up on their web sites?
          Thanks.

          http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup
        • Andy
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1 9:49 PM
            Hi David!

            I don't have a web site, and I am not certain how long I will be online
            again. So, I have no plans for getting a new web site established.

            About CNET/download.com: I would prefer to have the software files in a
            group list like this. (Hopefully, Yahoo won't go bankrupt!) If people in the
            group test my software and find it beneficial, then they can upload it.
            Having the files in a group list like this is effective because it makes the
            list more attractive to Pali people. Also: posting them here also means that
            229 Pali people around the world will know about it. Good old grapevine
            power :-)

            On the other side of the coin: About mirroring the files. You can do
            anything you want with them except charge money for them. If you wish to put
            them on a web site, a CD, email them, copy them to diskette and share them -
            that's all fine with me. I put everything under the GNU General Public
            License for this reason: If I had *no* copyright on them then someone could
            just "claim them"; copyright them "All Rights Reserved"; charge for them;
            AND prevent *me* from giving them away free as daana! (in fact, under USA
            law, they could then actually sue *me* for the total retail value of *my
            own* work that I gave away!)

            There are quite a few innovations in my software that are not implemented in
            a smooth, user-friendly way. In other words, a basic user can use the
            software easily, but they may not really be able to figure out what some of
            the features are or how they work (unless they are a geek or have coaching
            from me).

            I do this to protect the ideas/innovations. By establishing the idea(s) and
            a functional implementation of the idea(s) in the software I share, nobody
            can prevent me (or anyone else) from using those ideas in free software.
            There are many very innovative features in my software. It's simply lack of
            time and money that keep me from implementing them up to a "super-duper
            quality" in my free software.

            Even Palitrans 2.0 "suffers" from this effect. To enter a Pali text couldn't
            be easier. To use English+Sinhalese+Pali+French+Norwegian in one document is
            also easy - once you figure out the few basic things needed to set it up. I
            put the innovation into the software now to protect it for future free
            software by me or anyone else.

            And finally: if you are creating work that you would like to share for free
            as (for instance) a word processor file or a spreadsheet - you may wish to
            use the GNU "Free Documentation License" for your electronic work (for the
            same reasons above that apply to software).

            Great to hear from you!

            sotthi!

            Andy

            --