Unicode / transliteration / MS-Word

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2002
      Hi;

      Has everyone figured out how to set up MS-Word so that you can get the Pali
      special characters using Pali transliteration? If not, I can post the
      instructions on this list.

      Example: you type aa and get the Unicode a-with-a-dash-over-it character,
      ".n" and you get the Unicode n-overdot character, etc...

      While testing Palitrans 2.0 today, I figured out how to get MS-Word to do
      Unicode transliteration!

      Palitrans does *not* support Unicode, but it is still a great little word
      processor for Pali people and people who work with two or more languages.

      peace from

      Andy

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2002
        Andy,

        Instructions needed.

        Sukhi.

        P.

        Andy wrote:

        > Hi;
        >
        > Has everyone figured out how to set up MS-Word so that you can get the Pali
        > special characters using Pali transliteration? If not, I can post the
        > instructions on this list.
        >
        > Example: you type aa and get the Unicode a-with-a-dash-over-it character,
        > ".n" and you get the Unicode n-overdot character, etc...
        >
        > While testing Palitrans 2.0 today, I figured out how to get MS-Word to do
        > Unicode transliteration!
        >
        > Palitrans does *not* support Unicode, but it is still a great little word
        > processor for Pali people and people who work with two or more languages.
        >
        > peace from
        >
        > Andy

      • Andy
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2002
          svaagata.m!

          This is more of a "work around" than it is a solution.

          It isn't perfect, but it is a lot easier than remembering the codes for
          characters. It might be a good idea for people to write Microsoft an email
          suggesting that:
          a) they make it possible for users to create custom transliteration tables
          for any font, and
          b) that they make it possible for people to share their transliteration
          tables by email.

          This would solve the "user entry" side of data entry for multi-lingual
          people (and multi-language documents) once and for all. Pre-defined "Input
          Method Editors" (IMEs) are *not* the solution (for a lot of reasons - both
          because of weird little problems in the "internal machine representation"
          with Unicode/fonts *and* the many differing needs of users entering data).

          The alternative to the MS-Word entry method below is creating "macros" to
          generate the special characters. The macros would work better, but:
          a) you would have to remember the macro names
          b) you need to find some keystroke combinations that Word (and your other
          macros) does not already use.
          c) you would need to know how to create and use macros.

          It should take you about about 10 minutes to set up the characters using the
          method below.

          System requirements: The font 'Arial Unicode MS' and 'MS-Word 97' (or
          better). If you do not have the font, you can download it from the Microsoft
          web site. It is a huge font (about 8Mb? as a download and 40Mb. installed.)
          The font comes 'standard' with many Windows computers since the year 2000.

          Here is what I discovered:

          a) open a new document in MS-Word
          b) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"Symbol..."
          c) Choose 'Font: ' Arial Unicode MS
          d) Choose 'Subset: ' Basic Latin
          e) find the '~n' character in the table and click on it
          f) press the button 'Insert'
          e) press the button 'Close'
          g) in the document, select the ~n character with your mouse
          h) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"AutoText"->"AutoText..."
          i) press on the tab at the top called 'AutoCorrect'
          j) now you see the character in a box called 'With: '.
          h) to the left of that is a box called 'Replace: '
          i) enter ~n in the box called 'Replace: "
          j) press the button 'OK'

          (Note: Now, to get the character keep this in mind - MS-Word wants to
          "auto-correct" a *word* for you. This means that you need to have a blank
          character before the ~n and after the ~n.)

          So, now type:
          a) a blank space
          b) ~n (nothing happens)
          c) a blank space (and the ~n character is there).

          Comments:

          1) you will need to put a blank before *and* after the Pali special
          characters, and then go back and remove the extra blanks after you are
          finished typing your word.
          2) The Unicode fonts are a total marketing fake-out: a) they aren't really
          standardized at all and b)not all Unicode fonts have all of the characters!
          Oh well... I know that 'Arial Unicode MS' works for Pali.
          3) You may wish to use !n for the 'overdot n' (instead of "n). Otherwise,
          every time you enter a real quote that starts with the character n then the
          text will transliterate.
          4) You only need to enter the characters once. This sets the transliteration
          characters for all MS-Word documents, not just the document that you are
          currently working on.
          5) This works for any characters in any language in the Unicode fonts (in
          case you need other characters from other languages and you want to use
          'transliteration' codes for them).
          6) You will *not* be able to get capitalized Pali characters using this
          method.

          Here is where you can find the Pali special characters in the font 'Subset:
          ' groups:

          ~n Basic Latin
          aa Latin Extended-A
          ii Latin Extended-A
          uu Latin Extended-A
          (Subset: Latin Extended Additional is way down the list of subsets)
          .d Latin Extended Additional
          .l Latin Extended Additional
          .m Latin Extended Additional
          .n Latin Extended Additional
          "n Latin Extended Additional
          .t Latin Extended Additional

          Last but not least: Palitrans 2.0 supports easy, natural, direct
          transliteration and the following Pali fonts:
          a) Times CSX+
          b) VriRomanPali (used on CSCD)
          c) Leedsbit PaliTranslit
          d) Times Norman
          e) Skt Times

          So, if Unicode isn't that important to you, it is probably easier just to
          use Palitrans 2.0.

          So, it would help everybody in the world if people would at least email
          Microsoft and ask for customizable and shareable transliteration tables in
          MS-Word.

          Good luck!

          peace from

          Andy

          > Has everyone figured out how to set up MS-Word so that you can get the
          Pali
          > special characters using Pali transliteration? If not, I can post the
          > instructions on this list. <snip>
        • Timothy C. Cahill
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2002
            Dear Andy & others,

            Below is a message which might interest you. Charles Muller has built
            up a "autocorrect" file which can be used within MS Word. It *might*
            save you some time!

            best,
            Tim Cahill

            ----------------------------------
            Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 13:51:18 +0900
            From: Charles Muller <acmuller@...>
            To: H-BUDDHISM@...
            Subject: TECHNICAL>Adding Sanskrit Diacritical Function to AutoCorrect

            From: Charles Muller

            For users of MS-Word:

            As you may be aware, Microsoft Word includes the function of correcting
            misspelled words automatically as you type. If you have not yet
            experienced this, the setting may not yet be turned on. In that case
            please open up Word and to the menu Tools >> AutoCorrect, and check the
            box that says "Replace text as you type."

            If you look at the table of words contained below in that same settings
            box, you will see that you can edit, add, and delete the entries contained
            for this purpose. I have been adding Sanskrit and other
            diacritically-marked terms to this function for a number of years now, so
            that when I am working in Word, and I type a term such as "prajna",
            "samsara", etc., as soon as I hit the space bar after the word the
            appropriate diacritical marks will be attached.

            When one makes changes in this function, these changes are saved (for
            English-US users) in a file named "mso1033.acl" (for users of other
            variants of English, or other European languages, the file is named
            differently, perhaps something like "mso2156.acl" etc.).

            You can locate this file by searching it from the Windows desktop:
            Start >> Search

            Once you can locate it, you can delete it, and replace it with the ACL
            file that I have created. You can find it manually as well.

            For Windows 2000 users, use the desktop Explorer or My Computer to go to
            c:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application
            Data\Microsoft\Office

            For those who don't use US-English, you can edit this file and input it to
            your own language's Autocorrect file by using the Autocorrect Backup macro
            that Microsoft supplies on its Office web site. But you need to have some
            familiarity with Word VBA macros in order to do this.

            My own mso1033.acl file can be downloaded from:
            www.acmuller.net/public/mso1033.acl

            Caveats:
            1) Many of the diacritics contained here, such as underdot characters, are
            only available in a Unicode font, such as TITUS or Arial Unicode. If you
            don't have one of these fonts applied, you will see square boxes where you
            should see fonts.

            2) This file contains tags for automatic XML markup that I use in my work.
            Thus, if you type in Lotus Sutra, you will get <title>Lotus Sutra</title>.
            You can edit/eliminate the entries that contain these tags by opening up
            the file while in Word >> Tools >> Autocorrect. Those who have experience
            with XML and understand the purpose of such tags may want to keep them.

            Enjoy!

            Chuck

            Charles Muller

            Toyo Gakuen University
            Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJK-English Dictionary
            http://www.acmuller.net
          • ������� ���������� ��������� (Dimitry A.
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2002
              Hello Andy and everybody,

              A> The alternative to the MS-Word entry method below is creating "macros" to
              A> generate the special characters. The macros would work better,

              Below is an explanation how to set up macros.

              A> System requirements: The font 'Arial Unicode MS' and 'MS-Word 97' (or
              A> better).

              There are also compatible Unicode fonts at
              http://zencomp.com/greatwisdom/fonts/
              They are compact, for example, CN-Times is only 0,9 Mb in size. Few
              people will be willing to download huge Arial Unicode MS just to read
              a single document.

              How to create keyboard shortcuts for Unicode Pali letters:

              1.
              A> a) open a new document in MS-Word
              A> b) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"Symbol..."
              A> c) Choose 'Font: ' Arial Unicode MS (or another Unicode font)
              A> d) Choose 'Subset: ' Basic Latin
              A> e) find the '~n' character in the table and click on it
              A> f) press the button 'Insert'
              A> e) press the button 'Close'
              A> g) in the document, select the ~n character with your mouse
              A> h) main, top-level menu "Insert"->"AutoText"->"AutoText..."

              2. "Insert"->"AutoText"->"New..."->"OK"

              3. "Tools"->"Customize..."->button "Keyboard..."

              4. in "Categories:" list - select "AutoText"

              5. in "AutoText" list select the character [it may show as a small, empty
              square - or even as a completely different character in the list] to which
              no 'current shortcut keys' are assigned.

              6. position cursor in "Press new shortcut key" area

              7. press desired keystroke (<Alt>-a, <Alt>-t, or whatever), button "Assign",
              button "Close", button "Close"

              Notes: with the AutoText method, you will get the character only in the font
              you specified.

              A> Here is where you can find the Pali special characters in the font 'Subset:
              A> ' groups:

              A> ~n Basic Latin
              A> aa Latin Extended-A
              A> ii Latin Extended-A
              A> uu Latin Extended-A
              A> (Subset: Latin Extended Additional is way down the list of subsets)
              A> .d Latin Extended Additional
              A> .l Latin Extended Additional
              A> .m Latin Extended Additional
              A> .n Latin Extended Additional
              A> "n Latin Extended Additional
              A> .t Latin Extended Additional

              Why Unicode? I use it because such fonts:
              - fully support multilingual document, without overlapping of
              characters;
              - one can search and replace any character (solving the problem with
              .t retroflexive in other fonts);
              - one can easily convert Word documents to HTML format without losing
              any characters;
              - most Pali characters in such HTML documents (except retroflexive)
              will be displayed correctly even without the Unicode font.

              Mettena cittena,
              Dimitry