Angulimala

  • Sharon Khoo
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 25 3:13 AM
      Hi Pali Friends,

      I hardly write but i saw this in one of my mail and
      thought i shud share with all on Angulimala.

      With Metta
      Sharon Mallika Khoo

      ANGULIMALA AND THE BUDDHA'S CHIEF BEFEFACTORS

      ANGULIMALA

      It was in the 20th year that the Buddha converted the
      notorious murderer Angulimala. Ahimsaka (Innocent)
      was his original name. He belonged to a distinguished
      family, and was the most illustrious and favourite
      pupil of his renowned teacher.

      Unfortunately his associates grew jealous of him,
      concocted a false story, and succeeded in poisoning
      the teacher against him. The enraged teacher, without
      any investigation, contrived to put an end to his life
      by ordering him to fetch a thousand fingers as a
      present. In obedience to the teacher, though with
      great reluctance, he repaired to the forest and
      started killing people to collect fingers for the
      necessary offering. Later he wore a garland of these
      fingers to ascertain the number, hence the name
      Angulimala.

      When he had collected 999 fingers, and was ready to
      complete the number, the Buddha appeared on the scene.
      Angulimala made a vain attempt to kill the Buddha, but
      was eventually converted to the noble Dhamma and was
      admitted into the Order. One day as he went on his
      alms-round he saw a woman in travail. Moved by
      compassion he reported this pathetic case to the
      Buddha who then taught the Angulimala Paritta which
      runs as follows: -

      “Sister, since I was born in the Ariyan clan, I know
      not that I consciously destroyed the life of any
      living being. By this truth may you be whole, and may
      your child be whole!”

      He studied this Paritta, and going to the presence of
      the suffering sister sat on a seat separated from her
      by a screen, and made this Act of Truth. Instantly she
      was delivered of the child with great ease. The
      efficacy of this Paritta persists to this day.

      In due course Venerable Angulimala attained
      Arahantship.

      The remaining twenty-five years were spent in Savatthi
      at the Jetavana Monastery, built by Anathapindika, the
      millionaire, and at Pubbarama, built by Visakha, the
      chief benefactress of the Buddha.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com