Pali-English Dictionary

  • binh_anson
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3 10:57 PM
      G'day,

      Don't know if this site has been mentioned before, FYI:

      * Pali Glossary and Pali Dictionaries for TDP (programs by Leigh
      Brasington):

      http://home.attbi.com/~leighb/glossary.htm

      Metta,
      Binh
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 4 10:42 AM
        G'day to you too, Binh (yeah, I can speak Aussie too!)

        Thanks for posting that information about the
        dictionaries. I don't think it has been mentioned
        before on this list. I think it's fairly new that
        Leigh Brasington set up his word processor to work
        with those dictionary files.
        Here is an alternate link to get to the same pages:
        http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/6774/glossary.htm

        Metta,
        John
        --- binh_anson <binh_anson@...> wrote:

        > G'day,
        >
        > Don't know if this site has been mentioned before,
        > FYI:
        >
        > * Pali Glossary and Pali Dictionaries for TDP
        > (programs by Leigh
        > Brasington):
        >
        > http://home.attbi.com/~leighb/glossary.htm
        >
        > Metta,
        > Binh

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • binh_anson
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 4 11:28 PM
          --- In Pali@y..., "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
          <sangha@i...> wrote:

          > The hypertext version of Ven. Buddhadatta's Pali-English dictionary
          > (fully rearranged by Pali alphabet) is available at
          > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/pali/paliengl.zip (360 Kb)

          > It requires CN-Times Unicode font available at
          > http://zencomp.com/greatwisdom/fonts/ (920 Kb).

          BA: Well done! Sadhu! It will give me a good incentive to make use of
          that dictionary and the Unicode Pali font! :-)

          For your information:

          1) The Unicode font CN-Times was produced by a Vietnamese Buddhist in
          Germany (with the Dhamma name of Chan-Nguyen, and thus the "CN" name
          for the font). He kindly agreed to release it to the public domain
          for general use.

          2) The original Buddhadatta's dictionary was translated into
          Vietnamese language more than 20 years ago, to produce a Pali-
          Vietnamese dictionary. We are in the process to digitize that version
          (80% completion) and will revise it in the near future.

          With your digital Pali-English version, we hope we would be able to
          combine it with the Vietnamese version (when completed) to produce a
          ditgital Pali-Viet-English in the future.

          Metta,
          Binh
        • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 5 1:31 AM
            b> 1) The Unicode font CN-Times was produced by a Vietnamese Buddhist in
            b> Germany (with the Dhamma name of Chan-Nguyen, and thus the "CN" name
            b> for the font). He kindly agreed to release it to the public domain
            b> for general use.

            My best regards to him for the excellent work, and heartfelt thanks to
            you for making it available.

            b> With your digital Pali-English version, we hope we would be able to
            b> combine it with the Vietnamese version (when completed) to produce a
            b> ditgital Pali-Viet-English in the future.

            You are welcome to download MS Excel version from
            http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/pali/palixls.zip (756 Kb)
            which is easier to modify.

            Metta,
            Dimitry
          • Dipa
            Message 5 of 11 , May 24, 2006
              Hi,
              I received a new Pali-English Dictionary in the mail today compiled by Davids and Stede.
              It will take me some time to learn how to look things up with the different order of the
              alphabet. I came across this group while doing a search on Pali. I am glad to find this
              group. I have not yet had time to really research the group's home page but look forward
              to doing that.

              take care,
              Dipa

              I am practicing the nonviolent communication components which are:

              State what it is I observed without judgment.
              Express my feelings on the topic.
              Express what values are motivating my feelings.
              Make a specific request regarding the topic.
              Or conversely:
              Get clarity about what the other person is observing in relation to the topic.
              Get clarity about what the other person is feeling in relation to the topic.
              Get clarity about what the other person's values are in relation to their feeling.
              Get clarity about what specific request they may have for me.

              http://www.cnvc.org
              http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/index.html
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org

            • soumen sardar
              Message 6 of 11 , May 25, 2006
                Hi all,
                I am a beginner in learning Pali language and its subject matter & recently came across this yahoo group. I have downloaded some free e-books and guides on lerning pali and those are really helpful. However, i am not able to find any guide/tutorial/beginner's course on how to write Pali in Roman or Devanagari script. If anyone can tell me, where i can get the above resources, it will be highly helpful.
                Thanks in advance,
                -With best regards,
                soumen

                Dipa <sisterdipa@...> wrote: Hi,
[...]

                Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                Pali Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

              • rett
                Message 7 of 11 , May 26, 2006

                  > I am a beginner in learning Pali language and its subject matter & recently came across this yahoo group. I have downloaded some free e-books and guides on lerning pali and those are really helpful. However, i am not able to find any guide/tutorial/beginner's course on how to write Pali in Roman or Devanagari script. If anyone can tell me, where i can get the above resources, it will be highly helpful.

                  Hi,

                  It might be easier to find such free resources for Sanskrit, since Sanskrit studies are more widespread than Pali. Pali uses the same Roman and Devanagari rules as does Sanskrit, with the exception that it is a bit simpler (fewer characters are used). If you can write Hindi then it's basically the same except that you have a short /a/ after every letter. The diacritics used for representing Sanskrit with roman letters are also the same as for Pali. Hope this can help.

                  best regards,

                  /Rett