Fwd: Re: Pali-English & English-Pali Dictionary

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
      --- yogakkhema <yogakkhema@...> wrote:
      > Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 05:25:56 -0000
      > From: "yogakkhema" <yogakkhema@...>
      > To: Pali-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: Pali-English & English-Pali Dictionary
      >
      > Bhante,
      > As far as I know MS Office is required to get it up and running. I
      > tried to install it and got the same error message, then I installed
      > MS Office and it started working fine. I also removed MS Office and
      > it still worked. I believe it is because of the database program in
      > the Office package that gets it working (I don't know the
      > technicalities of it). If you don't have Office I'd try seeing if
      > any of your programs will open .mdb files (which are the files
      > holding the info.). Other than that I don't know.
      >
      > yogakkhema
      >
      > PS. If you do end up getting Office it wouldn't be a complete waste.
      >
      > The Word program that is in it can creates text files that are ready
      > for publishers, and the other optional programs produce charts,
      > graphs, and other office type things. The database program can
      > manipulate the Pali and English files (or print them) as well.

      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
    • Kumaara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2002
        Dear Yogakkhema and all,

        Thank you for your offer to help, but I think should be contented with Andy's program, which, despite some minor defects, I think is better written in that it's less resource-hungry.

        I rather not get Office Suite just for the sake of getting that dictionary program to work (at least for the time being), though a friend who works with Microsoft Malaysia has invited me to ask from her. (She said she could get it at a "dirt cheap" price.) I already have Lotus Suite which came with this IBM ThinkPad. Plus, I'm a little bit sorry to admit that I'm somewhat a rebel against the "Gates Empire"....

        Anyway, thank you all for the trouble invested.

        kb