RE: [Pali] Pali Day by Day 5/04/2005 [D155]

  • Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 1247 , May 4, 2005

      > 11. Amhaaka.m sattuno paade maya.m sirasaa avandamhaa.
      > our / enemy's / at foot / we / with head / paid homage
      > We paid homage at our enemy's foot with head.

      I'm going to go out on a limb here and ask whether sattuno should really be
      satthuno (a genative of satthu - religious teacher (the Buddha))? Otherwise
      maybe we have some more humour from the tipitaka?

      > 14. Satta ahaani maya.m ki~nci'pi aahaara.m na abhu~njamhaa.
      > seven / throughout seven / we / any-too / food / did not eat
      > We did not eat any food throughout seven days.

      Seems to be a typographical error in the second line. I think it should be:

      "seven /for days /we /any at all /food /not /ate"

      But it's right again in your third line. I wonder if I am right in thinking
      that "api" here means "at all". Then maybe it is: "We did not eat any food
      at all for seven days." I chose "for" here, because "throughout" might seem
      awkward.

      Suma"ngalaani,

      Yuttadhammo
    • Dhivan Thomas Jones