Ovewhelmed!

  • Lohner@gmx.li
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
      Sorry I've only quite recently taken up Pali and feel quite overwhelmed by
      the information (though definetly useful) posted. Any ideas where I find more
      beginners information?
      Henry

      http://www.gmx.net
    • Robert Didham
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2002
        Dear Henry

        I understand the difficulty of starting out - I tried to do this many years
        ago with Tibetan and all I could get at the time was a copy of Jaeschke's
        grammar and there was not a teacher in sight. Not easy.

        However, what sort of material are you working with and what is it that is
        getting you stuck? Directing you to useful beginner's material is hard if
        you don't tell us what it is that you are finding difficult. I assume you
        have done some study of other languages before but don't know if you have
        done any Sanskrit. Also, which language do you prefer to learn in (this is
        important if you are - for example - a German speaker working with English
        texts when a German text such as von Hinuber's may be easier to work with)

        Robert Didham