Re: [Pali] Re: Mahaasatipa.t.thaanasutta.m

  • "Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko (Дмитро Ол
    Message 1 of 32 , May 2 10:31 PM
      Bhante Yuttadhammo,

      > For myself, rather than say things like "Jesus is NOT the only way to God",
      > I would say, "Yes, Jesus is the only way to God"; but do you know what is
      > Jesus? Do you know what is God? Then there is no need to be sectarian.

      Yeah, there is indeed a skilful question of what is 'sati'.

      For the discussion of that question let me again recommend you the book
      "The Buddhist Path to Awakening" by Rupert Gethin.

      With metta, Dmytro
      Message 32 of 32 , May 6 8:03 AM
        Dear Ven. Sujato, Ven. Yuttadhammo, Stephen and friends,

        Bhante, how true! It had never occurred to me that Dhammakaya is
        related to Chinese Buddhism. But, since you mention it, I believe it
        is making reference to the Tri-kaya concept (which isn't of Chinese
        origin) in Mahayana.

        I think they have probably got it wrong. The Dhammakaya (or
        Dharmakaya) is simply the embodiment of truth. It means that the
        enlightenment of all Buddhas are undiscriminatorily equal, regardless
        of time and space. If it insists a 'physical' state of nibbana, it
        should be the Sambhagakaya. The third kaya is the Nirmanakaya. This
        concept is important in Mahayana, and it blends in with the
        Madhyamika's explanation of emptiness.

        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, Bhante Sujato wrote:

        > > One very large group of "Buddhists" in Thailand has come out
        > > and proclaimed publicly that "Nibbana is Atta."

        It is worth noticing that this group emerged in Thailand as part of a
        movement in Thai culture from the 80's that started to re-acknowledge
        the Chinese roots of Thai culture. Bankok was in fact a Chinese
        trading port. One aspect of this is the adoption of aspects of
        Chinese Buddhism. For example, statues of Kwan Yin are common all
        over Thailand.

        But Dhammakaya has pursued this angle more consciously, claiming
        support for their Dhammakaya idea from Mahayana sutras.
        Unfortunately, few people in Thailand have read the Mahayana sutras,
        so apart from sectarian prejudice, they are unable to respond very
        meaningfully to this aspect of Dhammakaya's arguments.