Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten

  • paulocuana
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2005
      Hallo,

      I've decided to learn how to read German and would like to get some
      advice from our German speaking members. One book of German translated
      from the Pali available to me is "Die Vier Edlen Wahrheiten" and the
      translator is Klaus Mylius.
      Another book available to me is the "Diighanikaaya" translated by Otto
      Franke and published in 1913.

      I had heard some criticism of Dr. Franke's work. Any advice would be
      appreciated including suggestions for a different book entirely :)

      With Metta,
      Paul
    • Lennart Lopin
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        Hi Paul,

        If i had to chose between Mylius and Franke i'd definitely stick to Mylius. His translation is lucid, clear, using a modern wording (Franke's book is about 100 years old i guess) - being an anthology you get a big picture from all different pali texts.

        There are lots of other modern translations available in German but none of them can be compared to Karl Eugen Neumann's translations. He is sometimes called the Buddhist "Martin Luther" - although his writings are as old as Franke's they resemble the Pali spirit closer than any other translation i ever encountered (though they might contain a few error here and there).

        If you want to be on the safe side, try a translation from Ven. Nyanatiloka or Ven Nyanaponika. Their translations are very authentic, sticking closely to the pali, modern German syntax & vocabular and have lot of footnotes on commentarial explanations...

        mettâya,

        Lennart

        [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
        [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com