Pali Day by Day 5/02/2005 [D154]
- An Elementary Pali Course
Exercise 19-A: Translate into English.
6. "Satthaa ta.m itthi.m aaha - 'etissaa tava putta.m dehii'ti."
teacher / [to] that / [to] woman / said / to her / your /
son / give
The teacher said to that woman: "Give your son to her."
7. Eko go tamasi khetta.m agamaa.
one / bull / in darkness / [to] field / wnet
One bull went to the field in darkness.
8. Vayasaa aha.m pa~nca viisati vassaani.
by age / I / twenty five / years
I am twenty five years of age.
9. "Manasaa sa.mvaro saadhu."
with mind / restraint / good
"Restraint of the mind is good."
10. "Ta.m saadhuka.m su.naahi, manasi karohi."
it / well / hear / on mind / work
"(You) hear it well (and) work on the mind."
- Hello Jayarava and friends,
In Norman's translation of the Dhammapada, in his note for v.259, he directs the reader's attention to verses 8, 128, 168, 172 and 177, where there is the same consonant doubling of p before na as in v.259 (pamajjati to nappamajjati) after what he calls the 'proclitic' use of na. So the formation seems to be a regular phonological feature in Pali.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]