Pali Tipitakam Concordance

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 29, 2002
      Dear Pali seekers,

      Does anyone know where in Singapore I can use (or borrow) the Pali
      Tipitakam Concordance?

      Sukhi.

      P.
    • Ong Teng Kee
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 30, 2002
        Dear Tan,
        Why not you just a bank draft to pts for buy it.It is cheap since you send
        your money from singapore dollar instaed of malaysian riggit which will cost
        me 500 riggit at least in 3 volumes. I always evil singaporean who have a
        better currency exchange compare to thai baht and malaysian riggit.To buy
        all pali /eng book from pts will be enough to buy a small house in small
        town in malaysia(5000pounds).
        Anyway i do not think the index book will be helpful because they do not
        have tika texts from pts.Only myanmar have this kind of book.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2003
          Dear Pali friends,

          The Pali Centre is a fledgling effort to popularize the early Buddhist
          suttas to the non-expert, especially practising Buddhists. We have regular
          "Pali Without Grammar" courses of which Module 4 (on the Anapanasati Sutta)
          will run for 5 weeks beginning in mid-February; Module 5 Mahasatipatthana
          Sutta is planned to follow beginning after Vesak this year. In between I
          lead Sutta Study classes open to the public.

          We have an on-going sutta translation project the results of which are
          collected as "The Living Word of the Buddha". Recently, we incorporated
          the use of the "trilinear" method (Pali/gloss/free translation) of textual
          study which is well-received by Pali enthusiasts on the web (such as Pali
          Yahoo Group) and elsewhere.

          For a number of years now I have tried to complete my set of the PALI
          TIPITAKAM CONCORDANCE which is an extremely useful tool in Pali studies.

          To date I only have Volume III (only parts I-VI). From the PTS online
          catalogue, I notice that Vol. III has entries P-Baaraa.naseyyaka
          (1993). The last entry on part VI is "bahujana". So I am missing a couple
          of fascicules here, too.

          I need:
          Vol. I (A-O), 1955;
          Vol. II (K-N), 1973, 1995.
          To date I only have Volume III (only parts I-VI). From the PTS online
          catalogue, I notice that Vol. III has entries P-Baaraa.naseyyaka
          (1993). The last entry on part VI is "bahujana". So I am missing a couple
          of fascicules here, too.

          I would deeply appreciate if anyone could donate the remaining sections or
          let me know where in Singapore I can find this valuable work. As our
          resources are extremely limited we are unable to afford new purchases.

          Sukhi.

          P.
        • nina van gorkom
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
            Dear Piya Tan,
            please, what is module 4 and 5?I am so ignorant of technical terms. The
            program looks so good.
            Nina

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003

              The sutta lessons I give runs in a set of 5 weekly lessons (called a
              Module). I have finished 2 suttas (Dhammacakka and Kalama Suttas). The next
              module will be on the Anapanasati Sutta.

              We will be studying the sutta using the Pali, literal translation and
              idiomatic translation (the "trilinear" method). Although we focus on the
              doctrinal and practice aspects of the sutta, the Pali and literal
              translation helps in giving us a better idea of difficult terms and ideas,
              and also inspire an interest in early Pali.

              Sukhi.

              P.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 26, 2003
                Dear Piya Tan,
                Thank you,
                But where can I find these lessons?
                Nina

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 26, 2003

                  These are live lessons I'm giving as in a classroom lecture series.

                  Sukhi.

                  P.