Re: [Pali] Pali-English & English-Pali Dictionary

  • Flavio Costa
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29 7:18 PM
      > Runtime Error '731'.

      Hello Venerable Kumara,

      I've got the same error when trying to use the program. I have MS Office
      installed, but it seems that the required files are present only in an old
      version (older than Office 97).

      The program is not the same as the one by Andrew Shaw, but as far as I know
      their word list is. I use Andrew Shaw's program and I remember he told me
      that the fact of Enter key activating the copyright message is not an
      "accident", the application was built this way to make the copyright notice
      more proeminent.

      Of course, I think he would change this if he get some requests to do so,
      but instead of asking him to do it I just trained myself to use the mouse to
      press the desired button instead of being conditioned to use the Enter key.
      Anyway, the annoyance comes from our mind and not from the software. :)

      I plan to do an online web version of the dictionary, so everyone could use
      it without having to download any program. This, however, is not on the top
      of my to do list.

      Best regards,

      Flavio Costa
    • Kumaara Bhikkhu
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30 4:18 AM
        At 11:18 AM 30-03-02, you wrote:
        >> Runtime Error '731'.
        >
        > Hello Venerable Kumara,
        >
        >I've got the same error when trying to use the program. I have MS Office
        >installed, but it seems that the required files are present only in an old
        >version (older than Office 97).
        >
        >The program is not the same as the one by Andrew Shaw, but as far as I know
        >their word list is.

        Andy's one has some typo errors which I told him about but he didn't reply. So, I thought I try something else.

        > I use Andrew Shaw's program and I remember he told me
        >that the fact of Enter key activating the copyright message is not an
        >"accident", the application was built this way to make the copyright notice
        >more proeminent.
        >
        >Of course, I think he would change this if he get some requests to do so,

        I asked. He didn't reply as well.

        >but instead of asking him to do it I just trained myself to use the mouse to
        >press the desired button instead of being conditioned to use the Enter key.
        >Anyway, the annoyance comes from our mind and not from the software. :)

        You're right. Now, I've got myself to press Alt-P or Alt-R, which I find is faster than using the mouse.

        >I plan to do an online web version of the dictionary, so everyone could use
        >it without having to download any program. This, however, is not on the top
        >of my to do list.

        Not much in demand as well I think, since there's already the online PTS PED.

        peace

        Ven Kumâra

      • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30 9:53 AM
          Dear Pali friends,

          The hypertext version of Ven. Buddhadatta's Pali-English dictionary
          (fully rearranged by Pali alphabet) is available at
          http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/pali/paliengl.zip (360 Kb)
          It requires CN-Times Unicode font available at
          http://zencomp.com/greatwisdom/fonts/ (920 Kb).

          I can also provide MS Excel version for anyone interested.

          Mettena cittena,
          Dimitry
        • binh_anson
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2002
            G'day,

            Don't know if this site has been mentioned before, FYI:

            * Pali Glossary and Pali Dictionaries for TDP (programs by Leigh
            Brasington):

            http://home.attbi.com/~leighb/glossary.htm

            Metta,
            Binh
          • John Kelly
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002
              G'day to you too, Binh (yeah, I can speak Aussie too!)

              Thanks for posting that information about the
              dictionaries. I don't think it has been mentioned
              before on this list. I think it's fairly new that
              Leigh Brasington set up his word processor to work
              with those dictionary files.
              Here is an alternate link to get to the same pages:
              http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/6774/glossary.htm

              Metta,
              John
              --- binh_anson <binh_anson@...> wrote:

              > G'day,
              >
              > Don't know if this site has been mentioned before,
              > FYI:
              >
              > * Pali Glossary and Pali Dictionaries for TDP
              > (programs by Leigh
              > Brasington):
              >
              > http://home.attbi.com/~leighb/glossary.htm
              >
              > Metta,
              > Binh

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • binh_anson
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 4, 2002
                --- In Pali@y..., "Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)"
                <sangha@i...> wrote:

                > The hypertext version of Ven. Buddhadatta's Pali-English dictionary
                > (fully rearranged by Pali alphabet) is available at
                > http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/pali/paliengl.zip (360 Kb)

                > It requires CN-Times Unicode font available at
                > http://zencomp.com/greatwisdom/fonts/ (920 Kb).

                BA: Well done! Sadhu! It will give me a good incentive to make use of
                that dictionary and the Unicode Pali font! :-)

                For your information:

                1) The Unicode font CN-Times was produced by a Vietnamese Buddhist in
                Germany (with the Dhamma name of Chan-Nguyen, and thus the "CN" name
                for the font). He kindly agreed to release it to the public domain
                for general use.

                2) The original Buddhadatta's dictionary was translated into
                Vietnamese language more than 20 years ago, to produce a Pali-
                Vietnamese dictionary. We are in the process to digitize that version
                (80% completion) and will revise it in the near future.

                With your digital Pali-English version, we hope we would be able to
                combine it with the Vietnamese version (when completed) to produce a
                ditgital Pali-Viet-English in the future.

                Metta,
                Binh
              • ������� ��������� (Dimitry Ivakhnenko)
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 5, 2002
                  b> 1) The Unicode font CN-Times was produced by a Vietnamese Buddhist in
                  b> Germany (with the Dhamma name of Chan-Nguyen, and thus the "CN" name
                  b> for the font). He kindly agreed to release it to the public domain
                  b> for general use.

                  My best regards to him for the excellent work, and heartfelt thanks to
                  you for making it available.

                  b> With your digital Pali-English version, we hope we would be able to
                  b> combine it with the Vietnamese version (when completed) to produce a
                  b> ditgital Pali-Viet-English in the future.

                  You are welcome to download MS Excel version from
                  http://i.kiev.ua/~koleso/dharma/pali/palixls.zip (756 Kb)
                  which is easier to modify.

                  Metta,
                  Dimitry
                • Dipa
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 24, 2006
                    Hi,
                    I received a new Pali-English Dictionary in the mail today compiled by Davids and Stede.
                    It will take me some time to learn how to look things up with the different order of the
                    alphabet. I came across this group while doing a search on Pali. I am glad to find this
                    group. I have not yet had time to really research the group's home page but look forward
                    to doing that.

                    take care,
                    Dipa

                    I am practicing the nonviolent communication components which are:

                    State what it is I observed without judgment.
                    Express my feelings on the topic.
                    Express what values are motivating my feelings.
                    Make a specific request regarding the topic.
                    Or conversely:
                    Get clarity about what the other person is observing in relation to the topic.
                    Get clarity about what the other person is feeling in relation to the topic.
                    Get clarity about what the other person's values are in relation to their feeling.
                    Get clarity about what specific request they may have for me.

                    http://www.cnvc.org
                    http://www.geocities.com/sisterdipa/index.html
                    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/index.html
                    http://www.accesstoinsight.org

                  • soumen sardar
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 25, 2006
                      Hi all,
                      I am a beginner in learning Pali language and its subject matter & recently came across this yahoo group. I have downloaded some free e-books and guides on lerning pali and those are really helpful. However, i am not able to find any guide/tutorial/beginner's course on how to write Pali in Roman or Devanagari script. If anyone can tell me, where i can get the above resources, it will be highly helpful.
                      Thanks in advance,
                      -With best regards,
                      soumen

                      Dipa <sisterdipa@...> wrote: Hi,
[...]

                      Paa.li-Parisaa - The Pali Collective
                      [Homepage] http://www.tipitaka.net
                      [Send Message] pali@yahoogroups.com

                      Pali Beyond belief Tibetan buddhism Zen buddhism

                    • rett
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 26, 2006

                        > I am a beginner in learning Pali language and its subject matter & recently came across this yahoo group. I have downloaded some free e-books and guides on lerning pali and those are really helpful. However, i am not able to find any guide/tutorial/beginner's course on how to write Pali in Roman or Devanagari script. If anyone can tell me, where i can get the above resources, it will be highly helpful.

                        Hi,

                        It might be easier to find such free resources for Sanskrit, since Sanskrit studies are more widespread than Pali. Pali uses the same Roman and Devanagari rules as does Sanskrit, with the exception that it is a bit simpler (fewer characters are used). If you can write Hindi then it's basically the same except that you have a short /a/ after every letter. The diacritics used for representing Sanskrit with roman letters are also the same as for Pali. Hope this can help.

                        best regards,

                        /Rett