Re: Thin Buddhists and fat Buddha?

  • Bhante Sujato
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2005
      Hello Fat Buddha fans,

      I have precisely no evidence for this, but i feel that it's very
      likely that the association between Maitreya and the fat man was
      prompted purely by a pun: 'mettaayati'ti mettaa, 'it fattens, thus
      it's called mettaa'. Fat in Pali being of course 'meda'.

      Another interesting detail on this is that 'metteyya' in the Pali
      canon as far as i know is only used in conjunction with 'petteyya',
      meaning 'filial devotion to mother and father'. Thus the association
      of Metteyya Buddha with mettaa is possibly an incorrect reading. Of
      course the meaning is nice, in view of the association of the maataa
      with mettaa (and the overweight stature of the pregnant woman!)

      in Dhamma

      Bhante Sujato

      --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, redxfist@a... wrote:
      > You'll often find the fat "monk" referred to Phra SangkaJai in
      Thailand.

      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2005
        Dear Stephen, Frank and friends,

        in my humble opinion, I think the ongoing waves of Islamic terrorism
        is giving confidence to some Christian fundamentalist groups. I am
        not writing very well on this since most are passing thoughts. I do
        think that top people in the Catholic Church takes this as an
        opportunity to reclaim the grounds they have lost in the past
        decades. As the richest and most powerful religious activists and
        lobbyists, they like to ensure that the Abrahamic faith is preserved
        exactly in the way they preferred, disregarding that its doctrinal
        foundation is shared by numerous religious denominations, all having
        very diverse views of most of the issues. I think there is a
        likelihood we see things coming round to a full circle, and it would
        trigger a new renaissance, only this time it will be a worldwide
        movement and most probably reduce religions to a bare social
        institution.

        The Buddhist stand on other religions is always embrace and respect,
        and this discussion hardly leads us to anything we want to achieve.
        So, I would suggest that we give the topic a rest, and resume our
        normal activities.

      • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2005
          Bhante,

          Ven. Yuttadhammo wrote:

          > A Sri Lankan monk once gave a lecture in Canada about what
          > the word Buddha means, and he said that he himself might be
          > considered "Buddha" because he had learned a lot in school.
          > Again, I think this is a misuse of the term...

          Perhaps the monk had in mind the Atthakathaas' notion of
          a sutabuddha.

          cattaaro hi buddhaa: sutabuddho, catusaccabuddho,
          paccekabuddho, sabba~n~nubuddho ti
          For [there are] four awakened ones: one awakened
          through learning; one awakened through the four
          truths; one awakened privately; one awakened
          through omniscience.

          tattha bahussuto bhikkhu "sutabuddho" naama.
          In this scheme a bhikkhu who has heard much is
          called "one awakened through learning".

          khii.naasavo "catusaccabuddho" naama.
          He in whom the pollutions are ended is called
          "one awakened through the four truths".

          kappasatasahassaadhikaani dve asa`nkhyeyyaani
          paaramiyo puuretvaa saama.m
          pa.tividdhapaccekabodhi~naa.no "paccekabuddho"
          naama.
          One who after fulfilling the perfections for two
          asankhyeyyas and one hundred thousand kappas,
          has by himself penetrated that knowledge
          called private awakening is called "one awakened
          privately".

          kappasatasahassaadhikaani cattaari vaa a.t.tha vaa
          so.lasa vaa asa`nkhyeyyaani paaramiyo puuretvaa
          ti.n.na.m maaraana.m matthaka.m madditvaa
          pa.tividdhasabba~n~nuta~n~naa.no
          "sabba~n~nubuddho" naama.
          One who after fulfilling the perfections for four,
          eight or sixteen asankhyeyyas and one hundred
          thousand kappas, and trampling on the head of the
          three Maaras, has by himself penetrated that
          knowledge called omniscience, is called an
          omniscient awakened one.

          imesu catuusu buddhesu sabba~n~nubuddhova adutiyo
          naama. na hi tena saddhi.m a~n~no sabba~n~nubuddho
          naama uppajjati.
          Among these four awakened ones, only the omniscient
          awakened one is called 'without a second', because
          another [person] called 'an omniscient awakened one'
          does not arise with him.
          (AA. i. 115)

          Best wishes,

          Dhammanando
        • Daniel
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6 9:11 AM
            Hello.

            I am not sure if the subject is appropriate for the group, if it is not, please
            see the post as irrelevant.

            Is it asserted by Theravada monks that Vipassana (of the Theravada tradition) is
            the original way to practice the Satipathana sutta? Or do they say it was
            "adapted", or alternatively "rediscovered"?

            I think Zen practice also is said to be based upon Satipathana sutta, though it
            is different from Vipassana. And I am not sure whether the Tibetan version of
            practice of "The four foundations of mindfulness" is the same as Vipassana
            approach.

            Have a good day

          • "Kåre A. Lie"
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 6 3:31 PM
              At 19:11 06.04.2006 +0300, you wrote:
              >Hello.
              >
              >I am not sure if the subject is appropriate for the group, if it is not,
              >please
              >see the post as irrelevant.
              >

              >Is it asserted by Theravada monks that Vipassana (of the Theravada
              >tradition) is
              >the original way to practice the Satipathana sutta? Or do they say it was
              >"adapted", or alternatively "rediscovered"?

              There is not ONE way to practice the Satipatthana sutta. There are
              different practical approaches, according to different teachers and their
              interpretations.

              I suggest you read Jack Kornfield "Living Buddhist Masters", to find a good
              survey of some of those different approaches.

              Best regards,

              Kåre A. Lie
              http://www.lienet.no