khandha

  • Bittar Gabriel, PhD, Geneva University
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25, 2002
      Dear Pali friends.

      The categorisation of the world structures in five 5 types of aggregates
      (pañca-khandhâ) is quite often repeated in the Suttas. I find it a quite
      useful view of the world, when keeping in mind that it is a categoriasation
      view, when used with flexibility and when adapted to modern knowledge. As
      an evolutionary scientist with a peculiar interest for psychological
      aspects of it, I have adopted the following interpretation - mind you, it's
      nothing more (or less) than that: a personal interpretation.

      1. : rûpa-khandhâ, the aggregates of form

      include the basic elements constituting matter;
      archaic belief: the cattâri mahâ-bhûtâni - pa.thavî-dhâtu, earth element;
      âpo-dhâtu, water element; tejo-dhâtu, fire element; vâyo-dhâtu, air element
      -, but also sometimes âkâsa-dhâtu, space element;
      which can all be translated in modern science as: ondes-particules
      sub-atomic and atomic wave-particles, fondamental forces;

      the rûpa-khandhâ also include the upâdâya-rûpâ, the secundary forms,
      derived properties of which some belong to living beings (archaic meaning:
      les 5 senses, feminity, masculinity, vitality, etc.); modern
      interpretation: ADN, enzymes, metabolism, etc.).

      The rûpa-khandhâ are more or less complex san'khârâ (structural fluxes /
      processes), they constitute the non-living matter (including the viruses)
      but also the physical basic (molecular) mechanisms of the more complex life
      phenomena.

      If someone thinks this approach is useful and would like to know more, I'd
      be happy to translate to English my French text on the matter for the
      khandhâ 2. to 5., the cattâri nâma-rûpa khandhâ, the 4 types of
      psycho-physiological aggregates :

      2. vedanâ-khandhâ, the aggregates of sensations

      3. saññâ-khandhâ, the aggregates of perceptions

      4. (citta-)san'khârâ-khandhâ, the aggregates of (psychic) structural
      processes which emerge from a complex (quasi-)nervous nodule

      5. vi'ññâ.na-khandhâ, the aggregates of discerning consciousness
      ("consciousness-conscience"), which emerge from a coherent whole of
      structural processes set up in a process of reflection ("know thyself");
      privileged exit-point out of sam'sâra.

      Jacqueline "Gotamî Jîvarakkhî" Bittar
      Dr Gabriel "Ananda Jîvasattha" Bittar,
      PhD University of Geneva
      phone +61 8 8553 7442 , fax +61 8 8553 7444
      mob. ph. +61 4 2743 5148

      Institut Suisse de Bioinformatique
      Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
      http://www.isb-sib.ch/DEA/plan_etudes.html
      email: bittar@...

      Université Bouddhique Européenne
      http://www.bouddhisme-universite.org/universite/programme/cours-et-stages/inter
      venants.html

      À Bientôt Seayu Lodge, http://www.seayu.com
      email: bittar@...

      Buddhâyatana, http://www.buddhayatana.org
      email: buddhayatana@...

      4/5 Warawee road / 34 Falie court
      PO box 281, American River, Kangaroo Island
      South Australia 5221

      GMT +9h30 (allow for +1h when "summer time" in SA)

      a'niccâ vata san'khârâ
      ( a'niccaa vata san'khaaraa )
      "impermanent are structural processes"
      "instables sont les flux structurels"
      Siddhârtha (Siddhaartha) Gautama Buddha
    • Äìèòðèé Èâàõíåíêî (Dimit
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 25, 2002
        Dear Gabriel,

        BGPGU> If someone thinks this approach is useful and would like to
        BGPGU> know more, I'd be happy to translate to English my French text
        BGPGU> on the matter for the khandhâ 2. to 5.

        Can you please translate it?

        Mettena cittena,
        Dimitry
      • abhidhammika
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 26, 2002
          Dear Dr Bittar Gabriel

          How are you?

          You wrote:

          "If someone thinks this approach is useful and would like to know
          more, I'd be happy to translate to English my French text on the
          matter for the khandhâ 2. to 5., the cattâri nâma-rûpa khandhâ, the 4
          types of psycho-physiological aggregates :"

          It would be very helpful and interesting to read your approach in
          more details. I, for one, would be very grateful to you if you
          translate your French text on the matter into English.

          You could post here on this list or send me your translation off-list
          via either of my e-mails.

          Thanking you in advance.

          Suan Lu Zaw

          http://www.bodhiology.org

          suanluzaw@...

          --- In Pali@y..., "Bittar Gabriel, PhD, Geneva University"

        • John Kelly
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 27, 2002
            Dear Gabriel,
            I would be most interested in reading your text on the
            psycho-physiological aggregates. Posting it in
            English in the file area of this list would be
            appreciated by many of us, I'm sure. I would also be
            interested in challenging my passable reading fluency
            in French by seeing your original version, which I
            hope you will mail me off-list.
            Merci mille fois, mon ami.
            John
            <buddhayatana@...> wrote:
> [...]
            > aspects of it, I have adopted the following
            > interpretation - mind you, it's
            > nothing more (or less) than that: a personal
            > interpretation.
            >
            > 1. : r�pa-khandh�, the aggregates of form
            >
            > include the basic elements constituting matter;
            > archaic belief: the catt�ri mah�-bh�t�ni -
            > pa.thav�-dh�tu, earth element;
            > �po-dh�tu, water element; tejo-dh�tu, fire element;
            > v�yo-dh�tu, air element
            > -, but also sometimes �k�sa-dh�tu, space element;
            > which can all be translated in modern science as:
            > ondes-particules
            > sub-atomic and atomic wave-particles, fondamental
            > forces;
            >
            > the r�pa-khandh� also include the up�d�ya-r�p�, the
            > secundary forms,
            > derived properties of which some belong to living
            > beings (archaic meaning:
            > les 5 senses, feminity, masculinity, vitality,
            > etc.); modern
            > interpretation: ADN, enzymes, metabolism, etc.).
            >
            > The r�pa-khandh� are more or less complex san'kh�r�
            > (structural fluxes /
            > processes), they constitute the non-living matter
            > (including the viruses)
            > but also the physical basic (molecular) mechanisms
            > of the more complex life
            > phenomena.
            >
            > If someone thinks this approach is useful and would
            > like to know more, I'd
            > be happy to translate to English my French text on
            > the matter for the
            > khandh� 2. to 5., the catt�ri n�ma-r�pa khandh�, the
            > 4 types of
            > psycho-physiological aggregates :
            >
            > 2. vedan�-khandh�, the aggregates of sensations
            >
            > 3. sa���-khandh�, the aggregates of perceptions
            >
            > 4. (citta-)san'kh�r�-khandh�, the aggregates of
            > (psychic) structural
            > processes which emerge from a complex
            > (quasi-)nervous nodule
            >
            > 5. vi'���.na-khandh�, the aggregates of discerning
            > consciousness
            > ("consciousness-conscience"), which emerge from a
            > coherent whole of
            > structural processes set up in a process of
            > reflection ("know thyself");
            > privileged exit-point out of sam's�ra.

            > Jacqueline "Gotam� J�varakkh�" Bittar
            > Dr Gabriel "Ananda J�vasattha" Bittar,
            > PhD University of Geneva
            > phone +61 8 8553 7442 , fax +61 8 8553 7444
            > mob. ph. +61 4 2743 5148
            >
            > Institut Suisse de Bioinformatique
            > Swiss Institute of Bioinformatics
            > http://www.isb-sib.ch/DEA/plan_etudes.html
            > email: bittar@...
            >
            > Universit� Bouddhique Europ�enne

            http://www.bouddhisme-universite.org/universite/programme/cours-et-stages/inter
            > venants.html
            >
            > � Bient�t Seayu Lodge, http://www.seayu.com
            > email: bittar@...
            >
            > Buddh�yatana, http://www.buddhayatana.org
            > email: buddhayatana@...
            >
            > 4/5 Warawee road / 34 Falie court
            > PO box 281, American River, Kangaroo Island
            > South Australia 5221
            >
            > GMT +9h30 (allow for +1h when "summer time" in SA)

            Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
            http://movies.yahoo.com/