Fonts and such

  • paulocuana
    Message 1 of 39 , Apr 19, 2005
      Sahaayaa,

      An acquaintance of mine at the Pali Text Society received the
      following query from a student. Would someone like to give it a try?

      With Much Thanks,
      Paul

      >A few years ago I created a Romanised Pali keyboard in software for
      >WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS. At the time several PTS members had done
      similar
      >work using different systems and different software. It seems all
      of
      us
      >addressed the lack of suitable software individually.
      >
      >I now need to send some Pali transcriptions to someone.
      WordPerfect
      is no
      >longer in common use, and naturally the characters I've created
      drop
      out
      >when the files are transferred into other software. I also can't
      print the
      >files from WordPerfect as modern printers use USB and not parallel.
      >
      >I'm intending to see if Microsoft Word is capable of creating the
      character
      >sets I created in WordPerfect, but I thought I'd ask you first in
      case
      >anyone at the PTS has already made a MS Word Pali keyboard.
      Alternatively,
      >if one is needed and I do the work myself, I can let the PTS have a
      copy if
      >it would be useful. And indeed, the WordPerfect keyboard is
      available
      if
      >anyone still uses WP 5.1 for DOS.

    • Stephen Hodge
      Message 39 of 39 , May 18 6:50 PM
        Dear Alex,

        > We are intrigued about this name/meme re-injection from East to West
        > and back to East. There may be modern references which predate the
        > book. However, is anyone aware of an earlier origin on the name? Is it
        > purely fictional or derived from another term (perhaps Shambhala?).

        I suspect that Shangri-la is fake Tibetan, the notion being based on or
        inspired by the Tibetanized version of the myth of Shambhala. The "-la" in
        Shangri-la is probably the Tibetan word for a mountain valley, but not in
        the case of the "la" at the end of Shambhala.

        I previously mentioned that the true location of Shambhala should be sought
        in western Orissa, but the place I intended to designate is Sambhalpur
        according to modern spelling. In medieval religious documents the place is
        also called Sambhola or Sambalaka, located along the upper Orissan reaches
        of the River Mahanadi. It is even mentioned by Ptolomy in his Geography as
        Sumelpur and Sambolaka. Carefuly sifting through the evidence, one can also
        hypothesize that the famed tantric land of Uddiyana / Oddiyana was the
        general name for the whole of that area, with Shambhala forming the
        westernmost portion. Any placing of Shambhala in Central Asia or elsewhere
        is a product of the later mythologized version of Shambhala.

        Best wishes,
        Stephen Hodge