Re: [Pali] sa(.m)buddhassa

  • rett
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2005
      >namotassabhagavatoarahatosammaasambuddhassa
      >
      >Dear friends,
      >
      >From time to time, I have come across the niggahita in
      >sammaa-sa(.m)buddhassa. I wonder if someone could comment on
      >this. Is it simply an artifact of sam+budh? Does it change the
      >meaning in a subtle way?

      Hi,

      This has been answered quite fully, but one last
      thing is that in Indian scripts it's often
      possible to save some space and avoid a ligature
      by writing things like sa.mbuddha, sa.mgha,
      pa.mca (paƱca], pa.m.dita (pa.n.dita). This
      happens a lot in devanagari dictionaries of
      Sanskrit for example. You can't see the space
      saving in a romanized transliteration, but it's
      dramatic in devanagari, a bit less so, but still
      there, in sinhala characters. In cases like that
      the .m is to be read as a shorthand for the
      appropriate nasal (the nasal of the same
      class(vagga) as the following consonant) not as a
      true anusvara/niggahita.

      I'm not 100% sure how these conventions work in
      practice in pali mss, but I wouldn't treat the
      difference as changing the meaning in any way.
      I'd just treat it as an orthographical variant.
      When a consonant follows it won't affect the
      metre either (as far as I understand it). It will
      affect the metre before a vowel however.

      best regards,

      /Rett