Re: [Pali] Re: A Pali Word A Day

  • pakdi yanawaro
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
      how can that ebook be downloaded?

      --- sadhu44 <sadhu44@...> wrote:
      > --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
      > > This is a new booklet ...
      > http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf
      >

      > I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali
      > Pronunciation Guide." It
      > lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice
      > versa.
      >
      > -Upatissa

      http://greetings.yahoo.com
    • yogakkhema
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        Hello,
        The was an error there. There are five retroflex consonants (.t, .th, .d,
        .dh, .n) which are pronounced with with the tonguetip curled back into the
        front of the palate (which are the most characteristic sounds of india).
        Then there are five dental consonants (t, th, d, dh, n) which are pronounced
        with the tip of the tongue against the back of the upper teeth. The palatal
        consonants are c, ch, j, jh, and ~n (which in the alphabet precede the
        retorflexes).

        yogakkhema

      • ypong001
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
          Hi pakdi, to download, goto this webpage:
          http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_s.htm

          you will notice there are a number of pdf files here.

          1. scroll down the page until you reach A Pali Word A Day
          2. RIGHT-CLICK on the link, a menu list will appear
          3. click on Save Target As..., the Save As dialog box appears
          4. choose the folder and filename, then click the Save button

          i assume that you are using MSIE on a PC. there are also other pali e-
          books on the same page that you may be interested in.

          please note the file size: 402KB, also keep in mind that this book
          contains several errors as members have posted.

          metta,
          yongpeng.