Re: A Pali Word A Day

  • sadhu44
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
      --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
      > This is a new booklet ...
      http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf

      I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali Pronunciation Guide." It
      lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice versa.

      -Upatissa
    • pakdi yanawaro
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        how can that ebook be downloaded?

        --- sadhu44 <sadhu44@...> wrote:
        > --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
        > > This is a new booklet ...
        > http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf
        >

        > I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali
        > Pronunciation Guide." It
        > lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice
        > versa.
        >
        > -Upatissa

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • yogakkhema
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hello,
          The was an error there. There are five retroflex consonants (.t, .th, .d,
          .dh, .n) which are pronounced with with the tonguetip curled back into the
          front of the palate (which are the most characteristic sounds of india).
          Then there are five dental consonants (t, th, d, dh, n) which are pronounced
          with the tip of the tongue against the back of the upper teeth. The palatal
          consonants are c, ch, j, jh, and ~n (which in the alphabet precede the
          retorflexes).

          yogakkhema

        • ypong001
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
            Hi pakdi, to download, goto this webpage:
            http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_s.htm

            you will notice there are a number of pdf files here.

            1. scroll down the page until you reach A Pali Word A Day
            2. RIGHT-CLICK on the link, a menu list will appear
            3. click on Save Target As..., the Save As dialog box appears
            4. choose the folder and filename, then click the Save button

            i assume that you are using MSIE on a PC. there are also other pali e-
            books on the same page that you may be interested in.

            please note the file size: 402KB, also keep in mind that this book
            contains several errors as members have posted.

            metta,
            yongpeng.