Re: A Pali Word A Day

  • sadhu44
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
      > http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf

      I can't say I'm 'studying' Paali yet, but... I noticed on the above
      booklet, page 35, "Pali Pronunciation" that the Pali alphabet has:

      5 palatals: t th d dh n
      5 dentals: .t .th .d .dh .n

      This is just backwards isn't it? -- A typographical error? The
      palatals are the hard consonantal sound indicated by the dot-under.
      The 'softer' dental sounds have no dot.

      I hope this observation is correct, otherwise someone is going to have
      to correct the Sri Lankan monks here!

      In Metta,

      Bhante Upatissa
      Sarathchandra Buddhist Center
      North Hollywood, CA
    • sadhu44
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2002
        --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
        > This is a new booklet ...
        http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf

        I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali Pronunciation Guide." It
        lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice versa.

        -Upatissa
      • pakdi yanawaro
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          how can that ebook be downloaded?

          --- sadhu44 <sadhu44@...> wrote:
          > --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
          > > This is a new booklet ...
          > http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf
          >

          > I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali
          > Pronunciation Guide." It
          > lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice
          > versa.
          >
          > -Upatissa

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • yogakkhema
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
            Hello,
            The was an error there. There are five retroflex consonants (.t, .th, .d,
            .dh, .n) which are pronounced with with the tonguetip curled back into the
            front of the palate (which are the most characteristic sounds of india).
            Then there are five dental consonants (t, th, d, dh, n) which are pronounced
            with the tip of the tongue against the back of the upper teeth. The palatal
            consonants are c, ch, j, jh, and ~n (which in the alphabet precede the
            retorflexes).

            yogakkhema

          • ypong001
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
              Hi pakdi, to download, goto this webpage:
              http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_s.htm

              you will notice there are a number of pdf files here.

              1. scroll down the page until you reach A Pali Word A Day
              2. RIGHT-CLICK on the link, a menu list will appear
              3. click on Save Target As..., the Save As dialog box appears
              4. choose the folder and filename, then click the Save button

              i assume that you are using MSIE on a PC. there are also other pali e-
              books on the same page that you may be interested in.

              please note the file size: 402KB, also keep in mind that this book
              contains several errors as members have posted.

              metta,
              yongpeng.