hard copy of romanized pali tipitaka

  • junet9876
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
      Hello,

      I was just wondering, from which script was the romanized pali
      tipitaka (hard copy) transliterated? (I'm referring to the one by PTS--
      are there other publishers, does anyone know?)

      Thank you,
      June
    • John Kelly
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
        Dear June,
        There is no single answer to your question. The PTS editions are put
        together by different scholarly editors who appear to study as many of
        the versions of the text as possible in the various different scripts,
        and come up with what for them appears to be a reasonable
        interpretation of the correct version. They are generally well
        foot-noted in the places where they find textual variations.

        Metta, John
        --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I was just wondering, from which script was the romanized pali
        > tipitaka (hard copy) transliterated? (I'm referring to the one by PTS--
        > are there other publishers, does anyone know?)
        >
        > Thank you,
        > June
      • junet9876
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 12, 2005
          Dear John,

          I see. Thank you.

          From what you say, it seems like you own a copy, correct me if I'm
          wrong...Would you recommend me buying it? The thing is I am trying
          to decide between the Pali Tipitaka in the Thai script and in the
          Roman script. I think the Thai script is cheaper though I'm not sure
          by how much, but I am not familiar reading in Thai characters
          (though I guess that could be learned)....

          Kind regards,
          June

          --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@y...> wrote:

          > Dear June,
          > There is no single answer to your question. The PTS editions are
          put
          > together by different scholarly editors who appear to study as
          many of
          > the versions of the text as possible in the various different
          scripts,
          > and come up with what for them appears to be a reasonable
          > interpretation of the correct version. They are generally well
          > foot-noted in the places where they find textual variations.
          >
          > Metta, John
          > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I was just wondering, from which script was the romanized pali
          > > tipitaka (hard copy) transliterated? (I'm referring to the one
          by PTS--
          > > are there other publishers, does anyone know?)
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > > June
        • "Kåre A. Lie"
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
            At 02:10 13.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

            > From what you say, it seems like you own a copy, correct me if I'm
            >wrong...Would you recommend me buying it? The thing is I am trying
            >to decide between the Pali Tipitaka in the Thai script and in the
            >Roman script. I think the Thai script is cheaper though I'm not sure
            >by how much, but I am not familiar reading in Thai characters
            >(though I guess that could be learned)....
            >
            >Kind regards,
            >June

            The PTS edition is good, but rather expensive - at least if you want the
            full Tipitaka. Here you can find the prices:

            http://www.palitext.com/

            I have a few of the volumes of the PTS edition, and the full Bangkok
            edition in Thai script. I like both, but the Bangkok edition (bought in
            1987) has not so solid binding as the PTS edition. There may be more solid
            bindings available now - I don't know.

            The Thai script is easy to learn. Personally I find it esthetically very
            pleasing, it is beautiful in the letters and beautiful in the meaning ...
            did not the Buddha say something about this? :-)

            Best regards,

            Kåre A. Lie
            http://www.lienet.no/

            THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
            an excellent vocabulary.
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
              Hello June,
              the Thai edition has after each sutta its commentary. That is why I like it.
              But it is not common Thai, but more elevated Thai and that takes time to
              learn.
              Nina.

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
                At 21:03 13.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                >Hello June,
                >the Thai edition has after each sutta its commentary. That is why I like it.
                >But it is not common Thai, but more elevated Thai and that takes time to
                >learn.
                >Nina.
                >op 13-04-2005 16:52 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                >
                > > I have a few of the volumes of the PTS edition, and the full Bangkok
                > > edition in Thai script. I like both, but the Bangkok edition (bought in
                > > 1987) has not so solid binding as the PTS edition.

                You are referring to a Thai language edition? I was referring to a Pali
                language edition in Thai characters, Pali only, with no commentary. Just to
                avoid misunderstandings ... :-)

                Yours,

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
                  Dear June,

                  Yes, I am fortunate enough to have the four main nikaayas in the PTS
                  editions. As Kare says, these are very good, but somewhat expensive.
                  I can't make any comment on the Thai edition (not knowing the
                  script!). Of course you know you can find good copies of the canon
                  online, and an excellent electronic (and searchable) version on the
                  CSCD (from the 6th Council), which gives one the option of seeing the
                  canon in a variety of scripts. This can be obtained from VRI for only
                  the cost of postage (about $5).

                  Metta, John

                  --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:

                  > Dear John,
                  >
                  > I see. Thank you.
                  >
                  > From what you say, it seems like you own a copy, correct me if I'm
                  > wrong...Would you recommend me buying it? The thing is I am trying
                  > to decide between the Pali Tipitaka in the Thai script and in the
                  > Roman script. I think the Thai script is cheaper though I'm not sure
                  > by how much, but I am not familiar reading in Thai characters
                  > (though I guess that could be learned)....
                  >
                  > Kind regards,
                  > June
                  >

                  > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "John Kelly" <palistudent@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dear June,
                  > > There is no single answer to your question. The PTS editions are
                  > put
                  > > together by different scholarly editors who appear to study as
                  > many of
                  > > the versions of the text as possible in the various different
                  > scripts,
                  > > and come up with what for them appears to be a reasonable
                  > > interpretation of the correct version. They are generally well
                  > > foot-noted in the places where they find textual variations.
                  > >
                  > > Metta, John
                  > > --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, "junet9876" <junet9876@y...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Hello,
                  > > >
                  > > > I was just wondering, from which script was the romanized pali
                  > > > tipitaka (hard copy) transliterated? (I'm referring to the one
                  > by PTS--
                  > > > are there other publishers, does anyone know?)
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you,
                  > > > June
                • Ven. Yuttadhammo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
                    > > I have a few of the volumes of the PTS edition, and the full
                    > > Bangkok
                    > > edition in Thai script. I like both, but the Bangkok edition
                    > > (bought in
                    > > 1987) has not so solid binding as the PTS edition.

                    >You are referring to a Thai language edition? I was referring to a
                    >Pali
                    >language edition in Thai characters, Pali only, with no commentary.
                    >Just to
                    >avoid misunderstandings ... :-)

                    The Pali edition in Thai characters does not have the commentary after
                    it, as far as I can see... I agree that the Thai Thai version is
                    excellent and would recommend it because it has the commentary, but
                    that is not helpful for someone who wants the Pali.

                    June, I think I priced out the two versions before and they were a
                    world apart in terms of price, something like 20,000 baht vs. 60,000
                    baht. Worth checking for yourself though... incidently, I've heard
                    some Thai scholars criticise the PTS for being too free in their
                    changes. I think it would be worth asking around Bangkok (Wat
                    Mahadhatu, for instance, or Wat Bovornives) what the consensus is
                    among those who have both editions.

                    About bindings, the Thai Pali version seems to have quality bindings
                    to me... and a nice gold elephant on the front :) Here's the
                    Mahamakuta page, but no prices:
                    http://www.mahamakuta.inet.co.th/books/books120.htm

                    And here's their page of the PTS version which they sell for 73,000
                    with a few commentaries:
                    http://mahamakuta.inet.co.th/EN%20101/ENG-PUB%5b7].html

                    Suma"ngalaani,

                    Phra Noah
                  • junet9876
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 13, 2005
                      Hi,

                      Thank you. I have the Thai Thai Edition and most of the English
                      English Edition....Nina's right. It's not common Thai, I can't
                      understand it....My dad bought the Thai Thai Edition many years ago
                      when I still wasn't really a Buddhist, I just went to check and
                      you're right, the commentaries are there! So these commentaries are
                      separate books if you buy the English English version and also the
                      Pali Tipitaka in both Thai and Roman scripts, right?

                      I've been mainly referring to the Pali Edition in different scripts
                      this whole time. The price for the whole Pali Tipitaka from PTS has
                      gone up to ~78,000 baht including air shipment fee to Thailand. For
                      some reason the people at Mahamakuta bookstore aren't very helpful.
                      I've been there twice but it seems like they're not happy answering
                      questions. I remember asking them about the English English
                      Tipitaka, but they told me their entire stock has run out. (Strangly
                      enough, I saw later browsing around there were one or two copies of
                      the Digha Nikaya and a few other Nikayas on their shelf, though not
                      a complete Tipitaka but...grrr...) So I think their website is not
                      up to date.

                      I read in the PTS dictionary footnote somewhere, that the Pali
                      Tipitaka in Thai script is more accurate but they dont mark so much
                      where there are differences among the different scripts, if I
                      remember correctly. You know, maybe I'll just get both versions, but
                      not the whole Tipitaka at one go. And then decide later. It's just
                      Pali is hard enough in familiar characters.... but....to save some
                      $$$

                      Thank you for your help! :)
                      June
                      I want out of this samsara!!!!...