A Pali Word A Day

  • ypong001
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28 5:30 AM
      This is a new booklet in PDF format available for download from
      Buddhanet. It contains a list of common pali words used in the study
      of Buddhism.

      http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf
    • sadhu44
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28 9:45 AM
        > http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf

        I can't say I'm 'studying' Paali yet, but... I noticed on the above
        booklet, page 35, "Pali Pronunciation" that the Pali alphabet has:

        5 palatals: t th d dh n
        5 dentals: .t .th .d .dh .n

        This is just backwards isn't it? -- A typographical error? The
        palatals are the hard consonantal sound indicated by the dot-under.
        The 'softer' dental sounds have no dot.

        I hope this observation is correct, otherwise someone is going to have
        to correct the Sri Lankan monks here!

        In Metta,

        Bhante Upatissa
        Sarathchandra Buddhist Center
        North Hollywood, CA
      • sadhu44
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 28 10:01 AM
          --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
          > This is a new booklet ...
          http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf

          I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali Pronunciation Guide." It
          lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice versa.

          -Upatissa
        • pakdi yanawaro
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
            how can that ebook be downloaded?

            --- sadhu44 <sadhu44@...> wrote:
            > --- In Pali@y..., "ypong001" <ypong001@y...> wrote:
            > > This is a new booklet ...
            > http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/paliwordday.pdf
            >

            > I think there is a typo on page 35 "Pali
            > Pronunciation Guide." It
            > lists the dental consonants as palatals, and vice
            > versa.
            >
            > -Upatissa

            http://greetings.yahoo.com
          • yogakkhema
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
              Hello,
              The was an error there. There are five retroflex consonants (.t, .th, .d,
              .dh, .n) which are pronounced with with the tonguetip curled back into the
              front of the palate (which are the most characteristic sounds of india).
              Then there are five dental consonants (t, th, d, dh, n) which are pronounced
              with the tip of the tongue against the back of the upper teeth. The palatal
              consonants are c, ch, j, jh, and ~n (which in the alphabet precede the
              retorflexes).

              yogakkhema

            • ypong001
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2002
                Hi pakdi, to download, goto this webpage:
                http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_s.htm

                you will notice there are a number of pdf files here.

                1. scroll down the page until you reach A Pali Word A Day
                2. RIGHT-CLICK on the link, a menu list will appear
                3. click on Save Target As..., the Save As dialog box appears
                4. choose the folder and filename, then click the Save button

                i assume that you are using MSIE on a PC. there are also other pali e-
                books on the same page that you may be interested in.

                please note the file size: 402KB, also keep in mind that this book
                contains several errors as members have posted.

                metta,
                yongpeng.