Parallel passage

  • Stephen Hodge
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
      I'm looking for a parallel in Pali for something mentioned in another text
      I'm working on. Does anybody know if there is a passage somewhere in the
      Tipitaka that speaks of those who would rather enter into a blazing fire or
      of lick / cut off their tongue with a sharp knife / razor etc (or lick a
      burning log) rather than doing certain evil things ? I have a vague
      recollection of reading something like this once but really cannot remember
      if it was from the Tipitaka. Any suggestions pls !

      Best wishes,
      Stephen Hodge
    • Ven. Yuttadhammo
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2005
        Dear Stephen,

        Funny you should ask... I just read an inspiring sutta from the
        Anguttara Nikaya, translated by a group of dedicated Paali scholars
        from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pali/ :)

        The link is here:
        http://www.tipitaka.net/pali/strans/stransload.php?page=an07-068s

        I believe this means it is Anguttara Nikaya, Sattanipaata, Sutta #68

        Best wishes,

        Yuttadhammo

        > I'm looking for a parallel in Pali for something mentioned in
        > another text
        > I'm working on. Does anybody know if there is a passage somewhere
        > in the
        > Tipitaka that speaks of those who would rather enter into a blazing
        > fire or
        > of lick / cut off their tongue with a sharp knife / razor etc (or
        > lick a
        > burning log) rather than doing certain evil things ? I have a
        > vague
        > recollection of reading something like this once but really cannot
        > remember
        > if it was from the Tipitaka. Any suggestions pls !
        >
        > Best wishes,
        > Stephen Hodge

      • Dmytro Oleksijovych Ivakhnenko
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
          Dear Stephen,

          You can start from
          http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an07-068.html

          Best wishes, Dmytro

          > I'm looking for a parallel in Pali for something mentioned in another text
          > I'm working on. Does anybody know if there is a passage somewhere in the
          > Tipitaka that speaks of those who would rather enter into a blazing fire or
          > of lick / cut off their tongue with a sharp knife / razor etc (or lick a
          > burning log) rather than doing certain evil things ? I have a vague
          > recollection of reading something like this once but really cannot remember
          > if it was from the Tipitaka. Any suggestions pls !
          >
          > Best wishes,
          > Stephen Hodge

        • Dhammanando Bhikkhu
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
            Hi Stephen,

            > I'm looking for a parallel in Pali for something mentioned
            > in another text I'm working on. Does anybody know if there
            > is a passage somewhere in the Tipitaka that speaks of those
            > who would rather enter into a blazing fire or of lick / cut
            > off their tongue with a sharp knife / razor etc (or lick a
            > burning log) rather than doing certain evil things ? I have
            > a vague recollection of reading something like this once but
            > really cannot remember if it was from the Tipitaka. Any
            > suggestions pls !

            You will find the Bodhisatta represented this way
            in more than one Jaataka, though I can't immediately recall
            an example. There are also several passages where the
            Buddha's admonition to his monks takes the form, "It would
            be better for you to do X [something that will cause you
            extraordinary pain], rather than Y [something immoral]. If
            this is in line with what you are looking for, see the the
            seven blood-curdling similes of the Aggikkhandhopama Sutta
            (A. iv. 127-35, also quoted in the Path of Purification I 153-7),
            and the Vinaya Pi.taka's nidaana to the first and
            fourth paaraajika offences (Vin. iii. 20-1; & 89).

            Best wishes,

            Dhammanando
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
              Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Stephen and friends,

              Bhante: thanks for highlighting the page. I am ashamed that it is not
              yet completed. With so many things to juggle at the moment, I have to
              do things one at a time. The complete English translation is
              available from ATI, what I am doing is the compilation of the
              exchanges in the group's archive for this sutta. Having to search
              through the archives and put together the pieces, and very often
              looking up on words myself, the level of details involved is
              tremendous. Still, I will come back to finish it probably at the
              second half of the year.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
                Dear Dmytro and everybody else who answered,

                Many thanks for the reference. Yes, the Aggikkhandha-sutta seems to be the
                one I was looking for -- my difficulty was that the Chinese and Tibetan
                sources I am working from use a slightly different title -- something like
                "daarukkhandha".

                Best wishes,
                Stephen Hodge
              • Gunnar Gällmo
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2005
                  See also Dhammapada, third stanza of the Nirayavagga!

                  Gunnar

                  --- Dhammanando Bhikkhu <dhammanando@...>

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/0Z9NuA/I_qJAA/i1hLAA/b0VolB/TM

                  gunnargallmo@...