Buddhist economics

  • Ven. Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
      >--- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
      > > I would like to say that where personal wealth
      > > management is concerned,
      > > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
      > > the Buddha didn't
      > > intend it to be dogmatic
      >
      >For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
      >everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
      >gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
      >sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
      >advice.

      Dear Friends,

      I think another thing to take into consideration here is our
      extravagent lifestyles in the West that drive up prices of housing,
      food, etc. If someone really wanted to keep to the Buddha's words
      here, they might have to move to a poor country, live in a hut, and
      be quite clever, like the mouse merchant (Jat 4).

      I think it must have been a gutsy thing to say even in the time of the
      Buddha, especially given the commentary's explaination implying that
      we are not actually meant to live on 25% of our income, we are meant
      to live on whatever is left of that 25% after giving alms! (cp
      Vighaasa Jat. 393) It might of course be wise to suggest that the two
      parts to be used for business include income taxes and other taxes,
      which are quite high in developed countries...

      Not to outright suggest that one try to follow this to the letter, but
      to suggest that sometimes we are quick to think the Buddha's teaching
      outdated and impractical when it might in fact just be out of our
      reach at the moment... the story goes that Vessantara was born with
      his hand outstretched, and the first words he uttered were "mother, I
      wish to make some gift, is there anything?" (Jat 547) :) Visayha (Jat
      340) mowed grass to make money when Sakka caused his treasure to
      disappear, and he gave both halves of the money got to beggars when
      asked, six days in a row, before fainting on the seventh day.

      maa bhikkhave pu~n~naana.m bhaayittha. sukhasseta.m, bhikkhave,
      adhivacana.m - yadida.m pu~n~naani. (Iti 1.3.2 Mettasutta)

      amhaaka.m kusalaa kammaa nibbaanapaccayaa hontu,

      Yuttadhammo
    • Ven. Yuttadhammo
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
          Dear Kåre,
          op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:

          > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
          > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
          > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
          > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
          N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
          social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
          and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
          dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
          for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
          http://www.zolag.co.uk/
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
            Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Kare, Nina, Mike, Rahula, Gunnar, Stephen and
            friends,

            Mike: In the Sangaha Sutta, the Buddha gives generosity, kinds words,
            beneficial help and consistency as the four grounds for the bonds of
            fellowship. I understand that you have no ill intentions, but I find
            that there is no need to "corner" Nina for a statement she did not
            make clear.

            Otherwise, I do respect what you have done, for pointing the
            incompleteness of Nina's statement, which may result in some having
            an incorrect understanding of the Dhamma.

            As the size of a discussion group grows and the discussion topics get
            more involved, there is a tendency people shun from pointing out
            others' mistakes, or correcting their own mistakes. So, I like to
            take this opportunity to invite members who have never voiced out to
            come forward, raise questions, and give your opinions, but please do
            so wisely. This is important, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a
            discussion group. It even defeats the good name of the Dhamma!

            Svakkhato Bhagavata Dhammo
            Sanditthiko Akaliko
            Ehi-passiko Opanayiko
            Paccattam veditabbo viññuhi ti.

            Sangaha Sutta:
            http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-032.html

            --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, olbeggaols wrote:

            I understand your concern here is to keep the discussion polite.
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
              Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
              friends,

              as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
              thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
              http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html

            • "Kåre A. Lie"
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                At 10:50 04.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                >Dear Kåre,
                >op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                > >
                > > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                > > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                > > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                > > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
                >N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
                >social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
                >and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
                >dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
                >for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
                >http://www.zolag.co.uk/
                >Nina.

                Dear Nina,

                I very much agree. The Brahmaviharas are very important for our daily life.
                I have already given them a prominent place in my book manuscript.

                It was also interesting to read the article you gave a link to. But my book
                is aiming at people without any special knowledge or background of
                Buddhism, so I try to keep things a little more simple and less technical.

                Best regards,

                Kåre A. Lie
                http://www.lienet.no/

                THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
                an excellent vocabulary.
              • "Kåre A. Lie"
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                  At 09:12 04.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

                  >Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                  >friends,
                  >
                  >as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                  >thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                  >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html
                  >

                  >metta,
                  >Yong Peng.

                  Thank you. There are many gems of worldly wisdom in the Tipitaka.