AN 6.01.05,7

  • Ven. Yuttadhammo
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      Here is AN 6.01.05,6 and 7

      Comments:

      ra~n~no a"ngantveva sa"nkha.m gacchati. I don't understand
      a"ngantveva, but I am guessing the sandhi to be: a"ngantu +eva, which
      I am here pretending to be a"ngant (one possessing factors) + eva
      (verily). Or maybe it is a gerund - a"ngantvaa eva? ka"nkhaa me
      hoti...

      A"nguttaranikaayo
      The Gradated Collection

      Chakkanipaatapaa.li
      Group of Sixes

      1. Aahuneyyavaggo
      Group One: Worthiness of Adoration

      5. Pa.thama-aajaaniiyasutta.m

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, a"ngehi[1] samannaagato ra~n~no bhadro
      assaajaaniiyo raajaaraho hoti raajabhoggo, ra~n~no a"ngantveva
      sa"nkha.m gacchati. Katamehi chahi?
      /with six /o Bhikkhus /factors /endowed /of a king /lucky
      /thoroughbred horse /worthy of a king /is /fit for a king /for the
      king /having possessed these factors /to the trumpet /goes /which
      /six/
      Endowed with six factors, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky thoroughbred
      horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and, verily having possessed these
      factors, goes to the trumpet for the king. With which six?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ra~n~no bhadro assaajaaniiyo khamo[2] hoti
      ruupaana.m[3], khamo saddaana.m, khamo gandhaana.m, khamo rasaana.m,
      khamo pho.t.thabbaana.m, va.n.nasampanno[4] ca hoti.
      /here /o Bhikkhus /of a king /lucky /thoroughbred horse /patient /is
      /in regards to sights /patient /in regards to sounds /patient /in
      regards to smells /patient /in regards to tastes /patient /in regards
      to sensations /endowed with beauty /and /is /
      Here, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky, thoroughbred horse is patient in
      regards to sights, patient in regards to sounds, patient in regards to
      smells, patient in regards to tastes, patient in regards to
      sensations, and is endowed with beauty.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi a"ngehi samannaagato ra~n~no bhadro
      assaajaaniiyo raajaaraho hoti raajabhoggo, ra~n~no a"ngantveva
      sa"nkha.m gacchati.
      /with these /indeed /o Bhikkhus /six /factors /endowed /of a king
      /lucky /thoroughbred horse /worthy of a king /is /fit for a king /for
      the king /having possessed these factors /to the trumpet /goes /
      Indeed, o Bhikkhus, Endowed with these six factors, a king's lucky
      thoroughbred horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and, verily having
      possessed these factors, goes to the trumpet for the king.

      Evameva.m kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu
      aahuneyyo hoti ...pe... anuttara.m pu~n~nakkhetta.m lokassa. Katamehi
      chahi?
      /just so /indeed /o Bhikkhus /with six /dhammas /endowed /a Bhikkhu
      /worthy of adoration /is /. /unsurpassed /field of goodness /for the
      world /with which /six /
      Indeed just so, o Bhikkhus, endowed with six dhammas a Bhikkhu is
      worthy of adoration . an unsurpassed field of goodness for the world.
      With which six?

      Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu khamo hoti ruupaana.m, khamo saddaana.m,
      khamo gandhaana.m, khamo rasaana.m, khamo pho.t.thabbaana.m, khamo
      dhammaana.m.
      /here /o Bhikkhus /a bhikkhu /patient /is /in regards to sights
      /patient /in regards to sounds /patient /in regards to smells /patient
      /in regards to tastes /patient /in regards to ideas /
      Here, o Bhikkhus, a bhikkhu is patient in regards to sights, patient
      in regards to sounds, patient in regards to smells, patient in regards
      to tastes, patient in regards to sensations, patient in regards to
      ideas.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu aahuneyyo
      hoti ...pe...
      anuttara.m pu~n~nakkhetta.m lokassaa"ti.
      /with these /indeed /o Bhikkhus /six /dhammas /endowed /a Bhikkhu
      /worthy of adoration /is /. /unsurpassed /field of goodness /for the
      world /
      Indeed, o Bhikkhus, endowed with these six dhammas, a Bhikkhu is
      worthy of adoration . an unsurpassed field of goodness for the world.

      6. Dutiya-aajaaniiyasutta.m

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, a"ngehi samannaagato ra~n~no bhadro assaajaaniiyo
      raajaaraho hoti raajabhoggo, ra~n~no a"ngantveva sa"nkha.m gacchati.
      Katamehi chahi?
      /with six /o Bhikkhus /factors /endowed /of a king /lucky
      /thoroughbred horse /worthy of a king /is /fit for a king /for the
      king /having possessed these factors /to the trumpet /goes /which
      /six/
      Endowed with six factors, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky thoroughbred
      horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and, verily having possessed these
      factors, goes to the trumpet for the king. With which six?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ra~n~no bhadro assaajaaniiyo khamo hoti ruupaana.m,
      khamo saddaana.m, khamo gandhaana.m, khamo rasaana.m, khamo
      pho.t.thabbaana.m, balasampanno[5] ca hoti.
      /here /o Bhikkhus /of a king /lucky /thoroughbred horse /patient /is
      /in regards to sights /patient /in regards to sounds /patient /in
      regards to smells /patient /in regards to tastes /patient /in regards
      to sensations /endowed with strength /and /is /
      Here, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky, thoroughbred horse is patient in
      regards to sights, patient in regards to sounds, patient in regards to
      smells, patient in regards to tastes, patient in regards to
      sensations, and is endowed with strength.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi a"ngehi samannaagato ra~n~no bhadro
      assaajaaniiyo raajaaraho hoti raajabhoggo, ra~n~no a"ngantveva
      sa"nkha.m gacchati.
      /with these /indeed /o Bhikkhus /six /factors /endowed /of a king
      /lucky /thoroughbred horse /worthy of a king /is /fit for a king /for
      the king /having possessed these factors /to the trumpet /goes /
      Indeed, o Bhikkhus, Endowed with these six factors, a king's lucky
      thoroughbred horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and, verily having
      possessed these factors, goes to the trumpet for the king.

      Evameva.m kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu
      aahuneyyo ...pe... anuttara.m pu~n~nakkhetta.m lokassa. Katamehi
      chahi?
      /just so /indeed /o Bhikkhus /with six /dhammas /endowed /a Bhikkhu
      /worthy of adoration /is /. /unsurpassed /field of goodness /for the
      world /with which /six /
      Indeed just so, o Bhikkhus, endowed with six dhammas a Bhikkhu is
      worthy of adoration . an unsurpassed field of goodness for the world.
      With which six?

      Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu khamo hoti ruupaana.m ...pe... khamo
      dhammaana.m.
      /here /o Bhikkhus /a bhikkhu /patient /is /in regards to sights /.
      /patient /in regards to ideas /
      Here, o Bhikkhus, a bhikkhu is patient in regards to sights . patient
      in regards to ideas.

      Imehi kho, bhikkhave, chahi dhammehi samannaagato bhikkhu aahuneyyo
      hoti ...pe...
      anuttara.m pu~n~nakkhetta.m lokassaa"ti.
      /with these /indeed /o Bhikkhus /six /dhammas /endowed /a Bhikkhu
      /worthy of adoration /is /. /unsurpassed /field of goodness /for the
      world /
      Indeed, o Bhikkhus, endowed with these six dhammas, a Bhikkhu is
      worthy of adoration . an unsurpassed field of goodness for the world.

      7. Tatiya-aajaaniiyasutta.m

      "Chahi, bhikkhave, a"ngehi samannaagato ra~n~no bhadro assaajaaniiyo
      raajaaraho hoti raajabhoggo, ra~n~no a"ngantveva sa"nkha.m gacchati.
      Katamehi chahi?
      /with six /o Bhikkhus /factors /endowed /of a king /lucky
      /thoroughbred horse /worthy of a king /is /fit for a king /for the
      king /having possessed these factors /to the trumpet /goes /which
      /six/
      Endowed with six factors, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky thoroughbred
      horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and, verily having possessed these
      factors, goes to the trumpet for the king. With which six?

      Idha, bhikkhave, ra~n~no bhadro assaajaaniiyo khamo hoti ruupaana.m,
      khamo saddaana.m, khamo gandhaana.m, khamo rasaana.m, khamo
      pho.t.thabbaana.m, javasampanno[6] ca hoti.
      /here /o Bhikkhus /of a king /lucky /thoroughbred horse /patient /is
      /in regards to sights /patient /in regards to sounds /patient /in
      regards to smells /patient /in regards to tastes /patient /in regards
      to sensations /endowed with speed /and /is /
      Here, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky, thoroughbred horse is patient in
      regards to sights, patient in regards to sounds, patient in regards to
      smells, patient in regards to tastes, patient in regards to
      sensations, and is endowed with speed.

[...]

      [1] a"ngehiiti gu.na"ngehi.
      [2] khamoti adhivaasako.
      [3] ruupaananti ruupaaramma.naana.m.
      [4] va.n.nasampannoti sariirava.n.nena sampanno.
      [5] balasampannoti kaayabalena sampanno.
      [6] javasampannoti padajavena sampanno.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
        Venerable Bhante Yuttadhammo,
        Thank you very much.
        A good reminder to face the sights, sounds, etc. with understanding. We
        cannot escape them yet, and they are not always so pleasant.
        sa"nkha.m gacchati. This does not have to do with a trumpet. English: is
        reckoned. See PED under sankhaa or sankhyaa: enumeration, definition.
        Sankha.m gacchati, to be styled, called defined.
        I met the term before: sa"nkhaata: so called. (PED does not use "n).
        op 04-04-2005 02:18 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op buffer@...:
        > Here is AN 6.01.05,6 and 7

        Bh: Comments:

        > ra~n~no a"ngantveva sa"nkha.m gacchati. I don't understand
        > a"ngantveva, but I am guessing the sandhi to be: a"ngantu +eva, which
        > I am here pretending to be a"ngant (one possessing factors) + eva
        > (verily). Or maybe it is a gerund - a"ngantvaa eva? ka"nkhaa me
        > hoti...
        N: PTS has: is reckoned a rajah's portion. So, I take it to be just the
        substantive a"nga, limb, factor. the niggahita makes: n, and vaa is: or. We
        have a 't' in between. Or is reckoned indeed as a rajah's factor.
        But I stand to be corrected with this sandhi.
        With respect,
        Nina.
      • Ven. Yuttadhammo
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005

          Thank you, I have a question. Do you think that the Lord Buddha used
          such sandhi variations to intentionally challenge the meager minds of
          his students? :)

          a"nga.m+t+vaa+eva - Is this correct?

          Yuttadhammo

          > A good reminder to face the sights, sounds, etc. with understanding.
          > We
          > cannot escape them yet, and they are not always so pleasant.
          > sa"nkha.m gacchati. This does not have to do with a trumpet.
          > English: is
          > reckoned. See PED under sankhaa or sankhyaa: enumeration,
          > definition.
          > Sankha.m gacchati, to be styled, called defined.
          > I met the term before: sa"nkhaata: so called. (PED does not use "n).
          > op 04-04-2005 02:18 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op
          > buffer@...:
          >> Here is AN 6.01.05,6 and 7
          >>
          > Bh: Comments:
          >
          >> ra~n~no a"ngantveva sa"nkha.m gacchati. I don't understand
          >> a"ngantveva, but I am guessing the sandhi to be: a"ngantu +eva,
          >> which
          >> I am here pretending to be a"ngant (one possessing factors) + eva
          >> (verily). Or maybe it is a gerund - a"ngantvaa eva? ka"nkhaa me
          >> hoti...
          > N: PTS has: is reckoned a rajah's portion. So, I take it to be just
          > the
          > substantive a"nga, limb, factor. the niggahita makes: n, and vaa
          > is: or. We
          > have a 't' in between. Or is reckoned indeed as a rajah's factor.
          > But I stand to be corrected with this sandhi.
          > With respect,
          > Nina.

        • Ven. Yuttadhammo
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005

            Does this work?

            Endowed with six factors, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky thoroughbred
            horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and goes to be counted as, or indeed
            factored as, fit for a king.

            Let me know, I'll post the sutta again.

            Chalernporn,

            Yuttadhammo

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2005
              op 04-04-2005 13:13 schreef Ven. Yuttadhammo op buffer@...:
              Do you think that the Lord Buddha used
              > such sandhi variations to intentionally challenge the meager minds of
              > his students? :)
              N: What is difficult for us now was not difficult at that time.
              Bh: a"nga.m+t+vaa+eva - Is this correct?
              N: we can translate a"nga also as an attribute.
              Endowed with six factors, o Bhikkhus, a king's lucky thoroughbred
              horse is king-worthy, king-fit, and goes to be counted as, or indeed
              factored as, fit for a king.
              N: The Thai has: phaahana: is to be reckoned as the king's vehicle.
              I would take together: sa"nkha.m gacchati, meaning: is reckoned as (without
              goes to).
              I would translate as: and is to be reckoned as the king's attribute.
              Perhaps others have some opinions on this. I have little time, almost going
              on my trip.
              With respect,