Re: [Pali] Re: Buddhist economics

  • "Kåre A. Lie"
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
      At 11:05 03.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

      >Kåre,
      >
      >ATI is down at the moment, but if you get to the 8s there are two
      >translations of the Longknee sutta there:
      >
      >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an08-054a.html

      Thank you. I've got the PTS books in English and the CSCD with the Pali
      texts, so that is no problem at all.

      Best regards,

      Kåre A. Lie
      http://www.lienet.no/

      THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
      an excellent vocabulary.
    • "Kåre A. Lie"
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
        At 11:35 03.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

        >Hi Kåre,
        >op 02-04-2005 14:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
        >
        > > If someone have
        > > some other suggestions about this or other sayings about the same theme -
        > > householders and economics - I'd be most thankful.
        >N: Ang. Book of Eights, Ch 5, Gotamid, § 4, Longknee or Diighajaanu. Also
        >edited in Wheel no 14. I cannot quote much now: conditions of worldly
        >progress, accomplishment of watchfulness, good friendship, etc.
        >What I like in all these suttas; the advice is very practical for laymen and
        >at the end there are spiritual counsels. The accomplishment of wisdom:
        >insight that realizes impermanence. Satipatthana is implied, and to be
        >developed in daily life. Also when earning one's living, playing music in
        >our case! There are nama and rupa and we cannot escape them.
        >Nina.

        Thank you, Nina. This is also a very interesting dialogue. It is a bit long
        for my purpose, but I think I will find use for parts of it.

        Best regards,

        Kåre A. Lie
        http://www.lienet.no/

        THESAURUS (n.): An ancient reptile with
        an excellent vocabulary.
      • Ven. Yuttadhammo
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
          >--- Ong Yong Peng <yongpeng.ong@...> wrote:
          > > I would like to say that where personal wealth
          > > management is concerned,
          > > anything along this line is fine. However, I believe
          > > the Buddha didn't
          > > intend it to be dogmatic
          >
          >For one thing, he must have been quite aware that not
          >everyone is able to live on only 25% of his or her
          >gross income. I never could, and I don't feel too
          >sorry for being unable to follow the letter of his
          >advice.

          Dear Friends,

          I think another thing to take into consideration here is our
          extravagent lifestyles in the West that drive up prices of housing,
          food, etc. If someone really wanted to keep to the Buddha's words
          here, they might have to move to a poor country, live in a hut, and
          be quite clever, like the mouse merchant (Jat 4).

          I think it must have been a gutsy thing to say even in the time of the
          Buddha, especially given the commentary's explaination implying that
          we are not actually meant to live on 25% of our income, we are meant
          to live on whatever is left of that 25% after giving alms! (cp
          Vighaasa Jat. 393) It might of course be wise to suggest that the two
          parts to be used for business include income taxes and other taxes,
          which are quite high in developed countries...

          Not to outright suggest that one try to follow this to the letter, but
          to suggest that sometimes we are quick to think the Buddha's teaching
          outdated and impractical when it might in fact just be out of our
          reach at the moment... the story goes that Vessantara was born with
          his hand outstretched, and the first words he uttered were "mother, I
          wish to make some gift, is there anything?" (Jat 547) :) Visayha (Jat
          340) mowed grass to make money when Sakka caused his treasure to
          disappear, and he gave both halves of the money got to beggars when
          asked, six days in a row, before fainting on the seventh day.

          maa bhikkhave pu~n~naana.m bhaayittha. sukhasseta.m, bhikkhave,
          adhivacana.m - yadida.m pu~n~naani. (Iti 1.3.2 Mettasutta)

          amhaaka.m kusalaa kammaa nibbaanapaccayaa hontu,

          Yuttadhammo
        • Ven. Yuttadhammo
          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 3, 2005
            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
              Dear Kåre,
              op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:

              > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
              > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
              > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
              > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
              N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
              social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
              and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
              dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
              for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
              http://www.zolag.co.uk/
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Kare, Nina, Mike, Rahula, Gunnar, Stephen and
                friends,

                Mike: In the Sangaha Sutta, the Buddha gives generosity, kinds words,
                beneficial help and consistency as the four grounds for the bonds of
                fellowship. I understand that you have no ill intentions, but I find
                that there is no need to "corner" Nina for a statement she did not
                make clear.

                Otherwise, I do respect what you have done, for pointing the
                incompleteness of Nina's statement, which may result in some having
                an incorrect understanding of the Dhamma.

                As the size of a discussion group grows and the discussion topics get
                more involved, there is a tendency people shun from pointing out
                others' mistakes, or correcting their own mistakes. So, I like to
                take this opportunity to invite members who have never voiced out to
                come forward, raise questions, and give your opinions, but please do
                so wisely. This is important, otherwise it defeats the purpose of a
                discussion group. It even defeats the good name of the Dhamma!

                Svakkhato Bhagavata Dhammo
                Sanditthiko Akaliko
                Ehi-passiko Opanayiko
                Paccattam veditabbo viññuhi ti.

                Sangaha Sutta:
                http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-032.html

                --- In Pali@yahoogroups.com, olbeggaols wrote:

                I understand your concern here is to keep the discussion polite.
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                  Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                  friends,

                  as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                  thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                  http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html

                • "Kåre A. Lie"
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                    At 10:50 04.04.2005 +0200, you wrote:

                    >Dear Kåre,
                    >op 03-04-2005 22:19 schreef Kåre A. Lie op alberlie@...:
                    > >
                    > > The reason why I am interested in these matters, is that I am writing a
                    > > book (in Norwegian) on Buddhism from a humanist perspective, and I find it
                    > > useful to have some stories to illustrate that the Buddha also showed a
                    > > concern for the daily life and economics of ordinary lay people.
                    >N: That is interesting. I find that the Brahmaviharas help much for our
                    >social life. Police officers in Thailand were so interested in this subject,
                    >and Acharn Sujin gave them a talk about it. This inspired me to write some
                    >dialogues on the Brahma Viharas I had with my husband. This may be too much
                    >for the scope of your book. In case you want to see it, it is on:
                    >http://www.zolag.co.uk/
                    >Nina.

                    Dear Nina,

                    I very much agree. The Brahmaviharas are very important for our daily life.
                    I have already given them a prominent place in my book manuscript.

                    It was also interesting to read the article you gave a link to. But my book
                    is aiming at people without any special knowledge or background of
                    Buddhism, so I try to keep things a little more simple and less technical.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 4, 2005
                      At 09:12 04.04.2005 +0000, you wrote:

                      >Dear Ven. Yuttadhammo, Nina, Kare, Mike, Stephen, Gunnar, Rahula and
                      >friends,
                      >
                      >as I browsed through the ATI site earlier, I come across yet another
                      >thread of advice by the Buddha, the Kula Sutta:
                      >http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/anguttara/an04-255.html
                      >

                      >metta,
                      >Yong Peng.

                      Thank you. There are many gems of worldly wisdom in the Tipitaka.